Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: realistically speaking, when is it too late to apply to law school?  (Read 2461 times)

brokencode

• View Profile
Hi.. i'll make this quick.

I've worked for over 10 years in IT and was considering changing gears into law.

I've read that when obtaining an MBA, employers tend to recruit late 20-something's and those in their early 30's. I'm currently 35, so by the time I would receive my MBA i'd be around 38-39...too late.

Are top 10 law schools, and the employers who recruit their graduates, the same? Do they tend to select the younger students, giving them first dibs on the best jobs?

I don't mean to sound pompous or pessimistic. I'm trying to look at this as realistically as possible. I know i'll come out of law school with huge loans, so I'm expecting to work hard during school, trying to get a job coming out that pays at least 100K. Otherwise, it's going to be tough to pay off all those loans.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: realistically speaking, when is it too late to apply to law school?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:47:51 AM »
When is it too late to apply to law school? When you've decided that you no longer want to be an attorney. That's it, that's all. If you want to change careers and want to enter the legal field, age doesn't seem to have much to do with it. Do some of the younger law students have more opportunities than older students? Sure... but there's nothing that you can do about your age, so the only question is how badly you want to be an attorney. Will look back 20 years from now and regret not going for it? Or are you not so sure you want to enter the legal field anyhow? Once you have the answer to that, you'll have the answer to your question about applying to law school.
Rob
(turned 36 a few weeks ago, becomes a 1L a few weeks from now)
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:14 AM »
There was a guy in his 70s in last years 1L class.

There are plenty of law schools that cater to the non-traditional student.  In fact, it seems more and more likely that you won't be able to get into Northwestern soon without some significant work experience.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:08:31 AM »
Go for it.

ctoc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:20:15 AM »
Brokencode, use the numbers as a guide but don't let them dictate what you decide to do.  If you want an M.B.A., go for it.  If you decide you want a J.D., go for that.  Keep in mind that you can make a living as a lawyer from a strong regional school as well.  However, if pecuniary interests are your primary motivation for attending law school, I'd recommend reading through some of the threads on this site and talking to students about the experience.  Although manageable, it's difficult, and if you're not 100% committed going in, you will not enjoy it.  What's important is your motivation, not your age.  

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:10:09 AM »
I've heard that there are sthat prefer older 1st year associates because they get a different type of work product from them.  I'm 31 (32 in Nov.) By the time I pass the BAR I'll be 33/34. I've only heard positives about being older with 9 years business and military experience.

I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

brokencode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. It's encouraging to read this. I will stay the course.

LBJFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 08:05:27 PM »
There was a 15 year old 1L at my school...so younger can be a disadvantage at times lol. No one wants an 18 year old attorney  ;D

But...I would say that age matters very little. I dont think there are jobs that a 25 can get and a 40 year old can't. Many employers actually enjoy a "seasoned" employee, especially if your former field gives you important, relevant insight into the type of law you're gonna be practicing.

Good Luck!

Susan Cartier Liebel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Build A Solo Practice, LLC
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 01:07:33 PM »
It's never to late IF you want to practice law or do work where your JD enhances your current employment or future advancement.  I have many posts on my blog under Passed the Bar - Hung a Shingle of students over 40 who made career changes, went to law school and went solo precisely so they weren't at the whim of employers and could work until they were ready to retire...or not because of the economic challenges ahead.  If you have a significant background that is complimented by your JD this can make you most marketable to firms looking for your expertise.  One of my students is older, was the only VP of a nuclear facility with a JD and he has not yet graduated and consulting with top 50 in the energy regulatory industry for serious money.  There are many options.  If you are doing a cost benefit analysis, this is smart but understand what monies you are capable of earning by 1) either employment with a firm who values your background combined with your JD or 2) consider solo practice. 

Susan Cartier Liebel
Build A Solo Practice, LLC
Newly Minted or Well Seasoned,
Teaching You How To Create and Grow Your Legal Practice
http://www.buildasolopractice.com
http://www.susancartierliebel.typepad.com
Susan Cartier Liebel, Esq.
Build A Solo Practice, LLC
Newly Minted or Well Seasoned, Teaching You How to Create and Grow Your Legal Practice
http://buildasolopractice.com

Follow the Construction of Solo Practice University
http://solopracticeuniversity.com

Samjones

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:40:23 AM »
I am 47 years old, have been a working mother since 18.  I got my undergrad in education and business, and have a teaching license.  I have worked as a teacher for the past 3 years, but I have now and have always had a very strong desire to be a lawyer.  Is it too late?