Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Comment Topics  (Read 673 times)

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Comment Topics
« on: July 09, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »

Is it better to write your comment:

1) In an area you want to practice in; average chances of getting published
2) In an area you definitely won't practice in but chances of getting published/cited are much higher

Thoughts?

Lucero

• View Profile
Re: Comment Topics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:38:03 PM »
This is the cynical answer, but honestly it doesn't really matter what you write about if you get published. Getting published is basically just a notch on your resume and acts as a proxy to show you are a good legal writer. NO ONE will be reading your student note other than the editor responsible for helping you or the managing board member who ensures you met the requirements.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:47:36 PM »
how do you know which area has a better chance of publication?  I'm not being a smart-ass I really want to know

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »

I can't say for sure, but I've identified topic #2 and it's a really recent and cutting edge state issue that has many policy implications. It's shaking up all kinds of legislative and lobbying activity.

It's not to say I couldn't find a topic #1 that would get published.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:58:15 PM »
First and foremost, I'd choose the topic in which you are most interested.  Writing a comment sucks more than anything I've ever done, and if my topic hadn't been compelling for me, I don't know if I would have finished.  For the record, my comment has nothing to do with any specialization or area of law I'm very interested in; it just happened to be an interesting topic.

That being said, etting published is all about the timely, big-impact issues.

I'd say which topic you want depends upon what you want to do after graduation.  If you want to clerk, especially at the federal level, then I would choose the topic you think will get you published.

If you don't care about clerking, then it won't really matter if you get published.  It's definitely a nice honor, and looks awesome on the resume, but that's about it.  In that case, I might be more likely to choose the topic in the field I was interested in, espeically if the area of law was small or competitive.  It could be another way to show interest/commitment to the practice area.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 09:10:18 AM »
I'm not on law review, so take this with a grain of salt.  It seems to me you should attempt the one with the highest chance of publication.  Think about this, when you are a lawyer you will have uninteresting cases often, but you must find interest in the topic or persevere. 

Although I'm sure writing a comment sucks, if you can find some interest in this revolutionary topic, and think you can do it justice, that seems to be the best course of action.

Then again, WTF do I know?

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:33:32 AM »
Write about whichever topic interests you more, because if you are writing about something you don't care about, your odds of producing something of publishable quality are zero.  You have to care to do that good of a job.

If both topics interest you equally, write about the one that will get you published.  And consider why you might not want to practice in that field.