Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possibiility of working with FBI?  (Read 3369 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: Possibiility of working with FBI?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:47:19 PM »
1.5 years is not 6 months. 1.5 year is fast and possible if you have a sqeeky clean, background as i've alread said. the average is 2-5 years depending on your background (5 is rather long and rare but i have seen it). if you have a divorce it takes longer, if you have someone in your family who is a foreign national it takes longer, if you've traveled overseas or had credit issues it takes longer, if you had got cited for underage drinking ever it takes longer. if you have a degree in a field in which there is a have a critical need they will move a little faster. a full clearance does not just mean Top Secret.

not going to argue they can tell you whatever they want i've been doing this work for 9 years just quit in june for law school. i have had a TS/SCI full scope with full lifestyle polygraph since 1998 and was a Marine Corps veteran. the average applicant takes doesn't go from application to Quantico in 1.5 years.   
...man, you was who you was before you got here

danboltonage22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 03:48:07 PM »
jarhead is right.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »
danboltonage22 is right.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

landrover06

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »

Gwiz is right.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »
I recently got roped into an FBI recruitment and the people who did the recruiting said that for special agent the process can take up to 10 years. However, there are plenty of positions in DC that do not require you to go through special agent training and with the additional Arabic ability you might be able to move into those more quickly.From what I was made to understand, people who start out as special agents have to go through years as actual agents in the field before they can transition into general counsel positions. The woman in charge at my FBI office (a smaller one) was a field agent for 8 years before she could do any sort of legal work. At that point, you have to go back into a training program to reteach you all the law you've forgotten in the 5+ years you've been working as a field agent.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 08:56:08 AM »
also just for the full picture you will go from GS-X to GS-13 very quickly after that is slows down because promotions are no longer automatic you have to apply for openings and compete. the wait for GS-13 to a GS-14 is anywhere from 2-5 years, once again depending on your career field with the intelligence track being the fastest. once you get to a GS-14, 15 is again not automatic once again you have to wait for a spot, in your agency, in your career field, in your position. i started out as government employee and quickly went over to the dark side of contracting because i saw the light. imo you don't need a JD to be a special agent. you will be doing the same law enforcement as every other special agent who only have bachelor's degrees. but because you your a "fancy lawyer type" you won't get to do any of the fun stuff you will be sitting in a cubicle pushing paper.

Right on the money.  Government has it's perks, but not why I came to law school.  However, it can be a great place to be WHILE IN law school.  I'm at a T25 school, getting paid, and having school paid for by the feds.  However, a)not many agencies have this option (I only know of ours and one other) and b)working while in law school taking 10 credits per semester is hell.

Good luck in your job hunt.

pasdedeux

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 10:08:36 PM »
If you really have your heart set on joining that pack of sick dogs, hang in there. Don't let us die not knowing how long it took to call you back.
God + War = Resolve

so basically

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 07:32:35 AM »

genesis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »

the average is 2-5 years depending on your background (5 is rather long and rare but i have seen it). if you have a divorce it takes longer, if you have someone in your family who is a foreign national it takes longer, if you've traveled overseas or had credit issues it takes longer, if you had got cited for underage drinking ever it takes longer.

fbi is ridiculous!