Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IP Law all that is good at SCU?  (Read 3966 times)

landrover06

• View Profile
IP Law all that is good at SCU?
« on: July 09, 2007, 03:41:31 AM »
I'd like to hear form the SCU students.  What is good about this school aside from it's IP program and the fact that it's in an area with a nice climate?  SCU is not a high ranked law school.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: IP Law all that is good at SCU?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »
Professors {mostly} are nice and make you feel like they genuinely care. 1L is definitely not like paper chase here. It is super challenging, hard, stressful and sometimes depressing, but most professors are understanding. There is a family type of environment with teachers and students.  Networking is good in this area {if you plan to live in Bay area}- SCU alumni definitely look for SCU students when recruiting.

If rank is all you are worried about...don't come. This is a good school to go to if you want to do IP or if you plan to stay in the area and utilize SCU connections.

Tatarin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:06:06 AM »
could someone elaborate more? I am BSEE, MSEE looking to apply to SCU.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »
All that I know is hearsay, but I'm from the Bay Area and I know that SCU has an amazing reputation for IP.  With that being said, it still has to compete against Stanford and Berkeley.  However, you need to realize that if you want to do IP, and with your MS, you're going to be "hot property."  Firms will be looking to snatch you up and will even allow for a much lower class ranking to get you.

People with your background, generally, don't even have that hard of a time getting a 1L clerkship at a big firm. 

SCU is a good school, but with your credentials, you'll be golden coming from any decent school (and maybe not even a decent school).

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »
Santa Clara is the law school for Silicon Valley. So if you want to live/work here its the best choice. Yeah Stanford or Boalt may help land a job nationally while Santa Clara not as much, SCU is highly regarded in  Silicon Valley in particular and generally in the Bay area.
And yes it does have a highly regarded IP program.