Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which foreign language to learn?  (Read 1105 times)

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
Which foreign language to learn?
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:13:35 PM »
I've determined to learn a foreign language.   ;D  Which one should I try: German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish? 
I suspect that even though Spanish is a major second language here in US, it will probably of little help in banking or law - two fields that I am entering. 

P.U.S.H.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which foreign language to learn?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:49:05 PM »
Mandarin was suggested to me many times, primarily because the kanji characters only mean one thing, one sound. I'm currently in Japan now and it's fairly difficult to become fluent in Japanese unless it's your only focus of study. Kanji paired with different kanji can mean a totally different thing or sound - butif your memory is on point go for it.

Banking or law... if you mean like the World Bank, I'd also suggest French. Isn't that the other official UN language?

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »
I know some Chinese, having worked in China for a number of years.  Maybe Japanese will be easier for me. 
By banking, I meant that since I intend to do investment banking, either on the business side or as a legal counsel, I hope to learn a language that will help me most in the career.  Since Germany is the 3rd largest economy, and Japan second, Japanese and German seem like idea languages. 
I don't know what French is good for in the financial world, UN has 6 official languages, English, Russian, French, Chinese, Arabic, Spanish.  The office of secretary general I believe uses French or English. 

landrover06

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:01:24 AM »
I would learn Mandarin because of the increasing Chinese influence.  Those magnificent people must be embraced.

This is what I'm doing.

P.U.S.H.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:28:10 AM »
I know some Chinese, having worked in China for a number of years.  Maybe Japanese will be easier for me. 
By banking, I meant that since I intend to do investment banking, either on the business side or as a legal counsel, I hope to learn a language that will help me most in the career.  Since Germany is the 3rd largest economy, and Japan second, Japanese and German seem like idea languages. 
I don't know what French is good for in the financial world, UN has 6 official languages, English, Russian, French, Chinese, Arabic, Spanish.  The office of secretary general I believe uses French or English. 

Sorry, you're right. Whenever I looked at legal affairs employment opportunities on the UN site, it seems to encourage English or French.

If you already know some Chinese I'd stick with that. Japanese might be easier to learn once you know the kanji in Chinese first.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 09:51:35 AM »
The obvious answer is Spanish.

In my state English will soon be option 2 for hotlines.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 10:22:14 AM »
I think the obvious answer is either Spanish, which would be incredibly beneficial throughout most of the South and West.  Or, if you are more of an international trade/business type, it has to be either Portugese (Brazil is on the verge of becoming a large international player) or Mandarin (China is about to bypass USA as the major world player) in about 20-50 years.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 11:12:52 AM »
I think the obvious answer is either Spanish, which would be incredibly beneficial throughout most of the South and West.  Or, if you are more of an international trade/business type, it has to be either Portugese (Brazil is on the verge of becoming a large international player) or Mandarin (China is about to bypass USA as the major world player) in about 20-50 years.

Now that Mother Russia is finally waken from her big slumber maybe Russian would be a good language to learn for the international trade/banking type lawyer?