Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?  (Read 7241 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 12:43:07 PM »
tag on the hairstyle question

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=372&Product_Id=1082363&Parent_Id=305&default_color=Black

how is this piece?

I don't really want to buy anything online though, especially a suit that is nearly $500.  Do Brooks Brothers Stores also offer sales events?

very nice. you generally can never go wrong with brooks brothers. i know what you mean about buying online and i really wouldn't buy a suit online if i could help it all, you really need to see how it looks on you. but if it can't be helped, you can go to a department store or a place that rents tuxes and get your measurements that way you know what size to order. the main thing is to get the right size across the chest and the correct jacket length for your height, and of course correct collar size for your shirt. the rest you can have altered. another thing that i forgot to mention before and that a lot of people don't know. DO NOT OVERDRY CLEAN YOUR SUIT. the chemicals break down the fabric. unless you spill something on yourself or have some kind of stain you only need to dry clean SUITS once or twice every 3-6 months. if you ever notice little spots of wear especially on the front of your jacket (they look like water stains) it's because you're taking it to the cleaners too much. i used to take mine in once a month but my drycleaner told me i was ruining my suits. seeing as he is losing money by giving me the heads up i'm taking his word for it.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 10:57:44 AM »
What about shoes?  What style is appropriate?  Lace? no lace? What about color? 

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
what about women's hairstyles?? was this answered already.  i have long, thick brown hair. i know not to wear it completly down but does it have to be completly up? i hate wearing it up it alwasy looks messy

or does it not matter so much as long as it looks neat?

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »
Suzie, how humid is it where you are? I am wearing my hair up, likely in a bun, because it gets so frizzy this time of year and would look like a mess if I left it down. I think it should look neat and well-kept, but you should wear whatever is most flattering and makes you feel the most confident. I don't think anyone will ding you for having your hair down.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2007, 12:00:19 PM »
It really depends on your hair. I've seen a few women in the courtroom who had long hair down that looked pretty unprofessional because it was either frizzy or not styled well. This area is incredibly hot during the summer so it can be hard to keep a long hairstyle looking neat and crisp. A nice, neat ponytail may be the way to go.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2007, 03:22:32 PM »
What a silly thread. If you can't manage something as basic as this, then how do you consider yourself competent enough to do on-campus interviewing?

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2007, 08:48:32 PM »
What a silly thread. If you can't manage something as basic as this, then how do you consider yourself competent enough to do on-campus interviewing?

What a f-ing moron.  If you can't manage to get into a decent law school, then how do you consider yourself competent enough to practice law, or even to comment on this thread?
Yale Law School - Class of 09

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »

What a f**cking moron.  If you can't manage to get into a decent law school, then how do you consider yourself competent enough to practice law, or even to comment on this thread?

Classy. The future of the Yale Law alumni rears its ugly head.

templeace

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2007, 10:27:16 PM »

It's not a silly thread though. Law firms can have different personalities and BigLaw can be ultra conservative in some places. Not knowing how prepped to be for OCI can be a headache and lead to more of that paralyzing law school stress. People that have already been thru OCI can review their experiences with interviewing. Why would law schools and career services offices go over these things if it wasn't relevant. *&^%, 40% of law school students may have never been professionals and never had a serious interview (being that they come straight from undergrad). I welcome all advice.. and I will be purchasing more white shirts to save on dry cleaning the same ones over and over.