Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?  (Read 6986 times)

yykm

• View Profile
Re: OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 06:19:40 PM »
Hmm... I dont remember exactly what I paid for my suits, but neither one was over $400 given the clearance sale on both.  Both are brand names too (Brooks Brother's and Burberry), but were lower end suits by their respective brands.  I havent heard any negative comments on my suits yet, so I guess they look fine.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
Hmm... I dont remember exactly what I paid for my suits, but neither one was over $400 given the clearance sale on both.  Both are brand names too (Brooks Brother's and Burberry), but were lower end suits by their respective brands.  I havent heard any negative comments on my suits yet, so I guess they look fine.

brooks brothers and burberry make fine suits. everyone is caught up on the price the point is get a nice suit. you got your's on clearance so they were cheaper, good. i borrowed the money from my parents for my first legit job suit. they were happy to give it, i paid them back.  this is not just "an interview suit" most of you will be wearing it to work. believe me when you guys start working as associates at your respective firms you will understand why $400.00 bucks for a suit is a sale. right now is the best time to look for a suit for August interviews. all of last years summer and winter suits will be on sale at the better department stores in order to make way for this year's stuff. nordstrom, bloomindales, neiman marcus etc. check it out i already got a nice pin stripped black (yes black) Ralph Lauren, notched lapel, single breasted, side vented, two button for $350. marked down from $850.00 at nordstrom alterations were free. they got some blues and dark greys left....
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »
Black sweats and a hoodie.  Make sure your shoes are adidas though.

I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »
Black sweats and a hoodie.  Make sure your shoes are adidas though.

:D :D nice dont' forget the bling

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 08:55:59 PM »
any advice for women?  im assuming: pants or skirts suit, stockings, pumps, conservative jewlery?

Pretty much.  The advice we've gotten so far is: skirt suit (for interviews, at least), nice stockings, leather pumps, conservative jewelry.  >:(  I just spent hours in Loehmanns trying to find classy skirt suits that didn't make me feel like a little girl in dress-up clothes.  Our career services people also advised very low heels (I think they said a max of 1 to 1.5") but I went with a more traditional height because I'm a midget. 

This depends on where you're interviewing.  Somehow the topic came up with some of the attorneys on the recruiting committee at my firm.  I mentioned that our career services office advised skirt suits, and that engaged women may want to leave their rings at home.  The attorneys laughed their asses off.  They didn't care if someone was engaged, married, single, etc.  They also hardly noticed if a woman 0wore a pant suit vs. a skirt suit.  What they did notice was cheap suits and/or suits that didn't fit well, inappropriate shoes (think "stripper-esque" strappy 4 in. heels), etc.  If you feel more comfortable/confident in 2 or 3 inch heels, wear them.

Granted, if you're interviewing in a more conservative legal market (NY and Chicago come to mind), then you might want to be more rather than less conservative.  But overall, I think a lot of the "advice" women get re: OCI is a bit much.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »
yeah i was gonna say the whole skirt suit thing sounded like something out of the 50's but i didn't wanna encroach on the ladies territory.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 12:42:46 PM »
i def want to wear a skirt suit at least on the first interview just to be on the safe side.  aas for shoes, I have pumps but they are old so ill have to buy new ones.  blah.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 01:45:02 PM »
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=372&Product_Id=1082363&Parent_Id=305&default_color=Black

how is this piece?

I don't really want to buy anything online though, especially a suit that is nearly $500.  Do Brooks Brothers Stores also offer sales events?

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 09:42:22 AM »
$500 for a suit is excessive.  No 1L (unless you're a daddy's girl/mamma's boy/trust fund baby) can afford to blow $500 on 1 suit.  The interviewers know that.  The've been 1L's too.  I'm telling you if you spend too much $$$ and they recognize that you will look foolish, irresponsible, and impulsive. 

For shoes all you need is a decent pair and then learn how to shine them.  A crisp, close to, military shine always looks good. Women love it, and it will upgrade your outfit.  If you want to be a Trust Attorney the elderly always love gentlemen that shine their shoes and have clean haircuts.  They also want to see that their attorneys know how to protect thier assets not spend them.

Buy  a good "power" suit that a person living on $15,000 a year can afford and you're good to go. ($15K or whatever the hell your student budget is.)

I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 11:22:32 AM »
Can we discuss hairstyles? What is the best way to go for men. I have done the whole short, spikey in the front thing for so long I've actually let my hair grow out. Any insight?