Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?  (Read 7081 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 04:05:41 PM »
I'm going to jump in here and advise that men buy one really nice suit instead of two cheap ones if it is at all possible budget-wise. My husband has both and the difference a more expensive suit makes is actually quite noticeable. He spent about $450 on his new suit (major sale - it is an $800 suit) and it looks fantastic on him. The $200 suit just isn't as nice, the fabric doesn't look as good and the more expensive one just hangs better. Men are lucky and can get away with one nice suit and different shirts and ties. Women really do probably need 2-3 different suits.

For anyone looking to save some money, Nordstrom usually has a big sale in the end of July (it starts 7/20 this year) and you can get some good deals. I will probably be picking up a few more suits for myself at this sale for OCI, and shirts and ties for my husband. Nordstrom is more expensive than a lot of other places, but the service is good and at least for men, I think the suit alterations are free.

Macy's is also a good option, and a bit less expensive, and if you get their store credit card, you can often save 20%. For a major purchase that might be well worth it. Also surprisingly, Costco occasionally has dress shirts that are nice and fairly inexpensive.

thank you thank you thank you! this lady knows of what she speaks. i didn't want to come across as an a-hole but a $100.00 suit is really cheap and looks it. $400-500 is a bargain for a nice suit (meaning on sale). i know people argue the whole it's just a label thing but it's not. you do have to pay for quality when it comes to clothes.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

jumbo11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 09:26:29 PM »
Please don't buy a $100 suit. There's a noticeable difference between a $100 suit and a $400 suit, particularly where the $400 suit has been marked down from $700 or $800. Cheap suits wrinkle very easily, and they "pucker" at the seems (and when you're traveling with suits, they're more likely to wrinkle). Spend some money and invest in a more expensive suit. Besides, we're all in our mid-twenties -- you should have a nice suit by now. And don't buy black -- navy, grey or charcoal are best because they can be worn either during the day, or at night.

Shirts are just as important. I would recommend going to Brooks Brothers and spending $150 on two non-iron shirts. You can wear them all day long, and they'll still look like you just took them off the hanger. And if you don't have the money right now, wait until your loan money comes in for first semester. You'll likely receive that money before you have to interview.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 09:34:24 PM »
If we email/mail the firms and they call us out for interview, would they pay for the hotel and travel? 
If they don't, then I am not sure if I want to send out any resume because I don't want to pay for the trip, the money would be better spent on suits/shirts for OCI.   

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 10:58:45 AM »
any advice for women?  im assuming: pants or skirts suit, stockings, pumps, conservative jewlery?

Pretty much.  The advice we've gotten so far is: skirt suit (for interviews, at least), nice stockings, leather pumps, conservative jewelry.  >:(  I just spent hours in Loehmanns trying to find classy skirt suits that didn't make me feel like a little girl in dress-up clothes.  Our career services people also advised very low heels (I think they said a max of 1 to 1.5") but I went with a more traditional height because I'm a midget. 

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »
see i feel the opposite..i feel like an old woman in a  lot of the suits

challandler

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 12:06:59 PM »
If we email/mail the firms and they call us out for interview, would they pay for the hotel and travel? 
If they don't, then I am not sure if I want to send out any resume because I don't want to pay for the trip, the money would be better spent on suits/shirts for OCI.   

No.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »

No.

That's not categorically true.  A friend of mine was reimbursed for his travel expenses (plane ticket and hotel).  He contacted them by unsolicited snail mail.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 02:01:17 PM »
A more pressing issue is how to find out, politely, if the firm will pay for the trip. 

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
A more pressing issue is how to find out, politely, if the firm will pay for the trip. 

Many of the firms' websites detail their policies and procedures vis-a-vis 2L hiring.  Look under the "Recruiting" or "Career" sections. 

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 03:36:57 PM »
sweats with a hoodie, and sandals aught to do the trick.  If that's not enough make sure the sweats are too tight.  That's for men and women... ;)
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.