Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?  (Read 6965 times)

yykm

• View Profile
OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?
« on: July 06, 2007, 05:28:11 PM »
I'm concerned that I may not have enough interviewing attire for the upcoming OCI season.  So far, I have 2 suits and 2 white dress shirts. (well, more than that, but 2 are serviceable at best; they are button-down collars.)  Is this enough for OCI?  I had two OCI interviews this spring as a 1L, but I'm sure transferring (I'm already admitted) to a top 25 school will yield me more interviews.  I think I need one more suit and 2 more white shirts, but would like to hear from someone who has mroe experience.

Thanks.

challandler

Re: OCI - How many suits, white shirts, etc. do you need?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:43:30 PM »
I refuse to wear a white shirt to OCI. 

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »
You might want to grab a few more shirts, but as long as your suits are normal colors (navy/charcoal) I don't see why you would need more than 2

challandler

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 08:38:39 PM »
Do call-backs ever last more than one day?  If so, I'd want three suits: one for the interview, and one for each day of the call-back. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:41:58 PM »
A call back is at most 2 days; you might have dinner out the night before, especially if you've traveled from out of town, and then the interviews the next day.  Usually you get taken out to lunch the next day.  And no one will remember if you wore the same suit to your 20 minutes screening interview as you did your call back.  They see probably 10 or more people in a day, sometimes several day straight.  As long as your suit is a quality one that fits you well, that's all that really matters.

2 suits are plenty, as long as you're careful not to spill or anything.  Extra shirts are always good.  And feel free to stray from the white shirts. Don't do anything too crazy, but colored shirts when chosen carefully can look very clean and stylish, yet conservative.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 04:36:11 AM »
as a super poor law student (with an upaid internship this summer) between the new suits i have to buy, leather bound folder to put my resume in, new shoes, hair cuts (which i guess i dont HAVE to get, but i need one soon anyway), and traveling expenses (i want to work at a city that isnt the one my law school is in) OCI is going to be pricey for me

however, when i look at in perspective of the 100k+ loans i have, it doesnt seem so bad.  if only they would add "interview attire" into your student budget...

challandler

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 07:11:52 AM »
traveling expenses

Firms that invite you for a callback through OCI will pay your expenses, including hotel stay (although, if I remember correctly, you're just a short drive away from your target market and could stay with family anyway).  Travel expenses are really for those who mass mail.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 07:22:46 AM »
of course! go all out! there's never a bad reason to spend more money!

although, seriously, having lived as a college slob most of my life, I really need to beautify myself for junk like this...

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 10:21:12 AM »
traveling expenses

Firms that invite you for a callback through OCI will pay your expenses, including hotel stay (although, if I remember correctly, you're just a short drive away from your target market and could stay with family anyway).  Travel expenses are really for those who mass mail.
I thought all the firms that gave you an interview in their city were supposed to split the costs, but I guess Im thinking of call back interviews.  Damn.  I planned on doing some mailings this fall to cover all my bases, but I didnt consider having to pay airfare if they wanted an interview. ... It all better pay off.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 10:21:50 AM »
2 suits 5 white shirts, and a collection of ties.  Switching ties is like switching suits.  I've been in business for 9 years and have conducted interviews from the employer side.  They don't expect a different suit each day and they all know your funds are tight.  In fact, if your are looking at corporate, tax, etc. type offices they may see it (more than 2 suits) as excessive spending and lack of self control and judgement. When you get your 1st $12,000 paycheck that's the time to build an impressive wardrobe. Don't go all metrosexual on us though... ;)

Yes I'm an 0L but 9 years of experience in Banking, Finance, and Real Estate should count for something... 8)
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.