Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what bag has worked for you?  (Read 1793 times)

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
what bag has worked for you?
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:58:13 PM »
I'm an incoming 1L and am agonizing over the bag decision.  Obviously I need a laptop bag, but do I go messenger or backpack?  Is it important that it be able to carry ALL my books? (my school provides lockers)

Any current students have any input on what has or has not worked for them?

Thanks!
UVA '10

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: what bag has worked for you?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 01:29:12 PM »
Please don't be the person with the rolly bag who rolls over everyone's feet.
Vanderbilt 2010

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:02:34 PM »
I don't think it matters too much unless you're biking.  Chances are you won't be able to fit all of your books and a laptop into a practical bag.

I have a backpack plus a laptop bag; it gets awkward sometimes, but I'm a cheap bastard and don't feel like buying anything new.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »
you're seriously agonizing over this?

I'm going to use the same old backpack I've used for the past 3 years. Plus, I'm thinking about using a spiral notebook to take notes in class...

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »
Please don't be the person with the rolly bag who rolls over everyone's feet.

Second.  I contemplated an SBA run with a very simple platform: "Execute those with rollie-bags."

To the OP: any standard backpack with a laptop sleeve will be fine.  Lockers are fine, but the backpack is your friend. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:44:47 PM »
Backpack with good laptop padding/space and/or a laptop sleeve worked for me.  A messenger bag might kill your back. Even if you have a locker, you may have to cart books home if you don't like working in the library (like I did).  Also, you should consider the transportation situation; do you have to walk far or take a shuttle?  A backpack could fit more, but could be more of a hassle on a crowded shuttle.

O.B. Wan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 11:13:25 AM »
Definitely do NOT get the roll-around type!

Those are the most annoying things ever invented.  You might as well wear a fanny-pack too, because that's how stupid it looks, not to mention the noise!

Also, please don't be one of those jackass's who wear flip-flops in the library, and walk around non-stop. 

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »
Roller bags on a 500 foot brick walkway are hilariously loud and obnoxious.

m34ch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »
i use a swiss army backpack with a built-in laptop sleeve.  it's great for me.. on bad days I couldn't fit everything in it, but I used that as motivation to get my Con Law done at school before I went home!

i just looked for it online, and couldn't find it, but i'm pretty sure i bought it at office max or staples or something like that.  just go to your local office store and check out the backpacks there.

good luck, and look back fondly on the time of your life when backpacks were your greatest worry
Albany Law, Class of 2009