Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question re: raising GPA, more/less courses?  (Read 906 times)

julians210

• View Profile
    • Email
Question re: raising GPA, more/less courses?
« on: July 03, 2007, 04:25:45 PM »
Hello, I am in the process of registering for Fall courses. I need to RAISE my GPA and I'm currently set on 3 courses for sure and wondering if I should add an additional 2 credit elective course to possibly raise my GPA?

Here's my dilemma. Two of my courses are letter graded but one is a C/NC course so my GPA for the Fall would seemingly come down to those 2 letter graded courses if I elect to just stick with these three. However, if I add the 2 credit elective course, I might be able to raise my GPA or at least balance it out assuming I do well in the elective.

I am also working, so I'm debating whether I should just take the 3 courses and focus on them or if I should add that elective course as a safety net. The two grades courses are required so there is a strict curve, but the one elective course does not have a strict curve.

I just feel a little uneasy about having my GPA for the semester come down to 2 exams. However, one less course would make it easier for me to devote more time to these two letter graded courses.

Any opinions?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question re: raising GPA, more/less courses?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 02:18:35 PM »
the more you take the more you can change your gpa.  Since GPA is weighted by credits, you have to take more to raise your gpa.

The down side of this is that if you do poorly, your gpa will fall.  Just take a normal load and study.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 02:53:15 PM »
The best way to raise your GPA is by taking a lot of easy courses. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

challandler

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 03:03:09 PM »
The answer is going to be too individualized for any of us to answer you.  Do you know why your grades were bad in the first place?  For instance, I know that I could raise my GPA by taking fewer classes because my lowest grade is always in the class that I did the least work in (usually because I had too many other things going on).  If I had more time per class, I'm confident that I would have better grades.  On the other hand, maybe your worst grades were in classes that you spent a lot of time on, but they had test formats you didn't like or were in subjects you didn't understand.  If you can manage the time enough to take more classes where you are sure you will succeed, taking more classes is the smart option to raise the GPA quickly.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 07:37:40 AM »
Drop the pass/fail class, pick up a graded class, and take the elective.  And work hard.  When planning for second semester, look for uncurved classes like seminars and writing classes.