Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: stay at T4 v. Transfer to T1  (Read 1588 times)

bobbykurva

• View Profile
stay at T4 v. Transfer to T1
« on: July 03, 2007, 02:44:49 PM »
Here's my situation. I've done well at a T4 in MA. I'm 2nd in the class and have some academic awards. I anticipate getting a decent scholarship as a result. I will be on law review should I chose to stay.

I've been accepted at a T1 in CT, the state I currently reside in and plan to work in post graduation. I will obviously lose the chance at LR, lose my class standing, and it's unknown at the moment what the economic repercussions will be as I haven't received any scholarship info from the T4 as of yet, but pre-scholarship cost of attending the T1 would save me $10K a year as I'd be eligible for instate tuition.

The T4 is well respected in CT, however the T1 does have an advantage as its local. The larger firms in the area hire from both schools, however the T1 has a larger representation in these firms.

I plan to talk to some local attorneys about my situation, but what do you guys think? What would you do in my shoes? What do you see as the pro's and con's here?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: stay at T4 v. Transfer to T1
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »
Before your school offers you any scholarship, I say transfer.  You will be risking your excellent rank and law review, but the jump from T4 to T1 is huge.  Many schools allow transfers to write-on to law review.  If you did well in LRW you probably have a shot.

If your T4 offers you a full ride, then it may be a tougher decision.

Good luck

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:19:45 PM »
Thanks for the response. I did do well in LRW - in fact LRW had a moot court component where I won for best written trial brief.

I agree the decision is not easy. $$ does talk, however it's not the only factor to consider.

Thanks again.

BLS Transfer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:15:18 PM »
Here's my analysis:

First, there are no consistent T1 schools in Ct. other than Yale.  If you get into Yale, you go.  Period.  UConn is the best state school in Ct., but it is only 47--and tied with several others at that.  It may not be T1 next year or the year after. 

If you want to practice in Ct., UConn is way, way better for employment than any t4.  Even if you go for free, you make more money at the end getting recruited by the big-firms at the better school.

Moreover, you learn more by competing with the better students at UConn.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 05:19:26 PM »
I guess what it comes down to is whether more firms would be interested in a mid-ranked UCONN student or 2d in class at your T4.  Despite what others on this board may say, I suspect it is the latter.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 05:36:58 PM »
Remember that education is an investment.  Therefore, you must decide whether the extra cost of attending UCONN will be worth it over the long-run.  Even if you end up with only a slightly better job right after law school, that difference can very well pay off in 10 yrs or over the span of your career.  This is the decision you must make.  Imo, UCONN is worth the investment, but I concede I know very little about hte school.

BLS Transfer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 11:23:37 PM »
Firms might prefer the #2 person at a T4--if they ever met the person. The way you get your first job is through on campus interview and the big firms that pay alot are much more likely to recruit at UConn.  You can search on NALP to see how many firms paying over 145 recruit at each school, respectively.  Also, UConn is probably cheaper w/in state tuition than the T4. 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 01:49:04 AM »
Firms might prefer the #2 person at a T4--if they ever met the person. The way you get your first job is through on campus interview and the big firms that pay alot are much more likely to recruit at UConn.  You can search on NALP to see how many firms paying over 145 recruit at each school, respectively.  Also, UConn is probably cheaper w/in state tuition than the T4. 

The OP said the larger firms recruit at both schools.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »

The OP said the larger firms recruit at both schools.

Id rather be a Big fish in a small pond than a Small fish in a big pond. Sure he can transfer to the better school, but since both schools get recruitment from top firms, why not stay there with your good class standing rather than transfer and lose that standing