Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Current OU Law students, which section is best?  (Read 465 times)

sooner12

• View Profile
Current OU Law students, which section is best?
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
It sounds like we get to at least suggest what section we would like to be in as incoming 1st years.  Just wondering if there are any current Sooners out there who would recommend being in one section or the other for whatever reason.  Anybody wanna throw in their two cents?

I am leaning towards the first or the fourth section simply because of timing, but if one had better professors, etc.  I would want to be in that one. Teachers are Tabb, Scaperlanda, McCall, Mullins, and Penrose in section #1.  Swank, Winchell, Robertson, Meazell, and Maute in #4.

Any advice will be very greatly appreciated. 

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
Re: Current OU Law students, which section is best?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 01:00:54 PM »
If its the same as last year u dont get to pick your section. they just assign u to one. just in case ill tell u what i think though.

Mccall has by far been my best professor in law school. THe sections were different last year so i didnt have the others.

Robertson is also a great professor. I have him for fed indian law which is his specialty. Swank is like a wise grandpa which is nice but he is a pretty tough grader. His class also starts to get pretty dry in the second semester. If u end up in that section let me know. their is a script from previous classes that floats around the law school.

Attending: OU

sooner12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »
Big Thanks Verbal.  Can't beat some inside info.  If I am in Swank's course I'll definitely try to let you know. 

As far as getting to pick, it pretty much says what you said in the materials OU sent me, but talking to Ms. Madden over the phone she seemed to suggest we could let her know which one we would prefer and they will accommodate if possible.  So we'll see. 

Was there any section that the students in it really regret being picked for that one, or are they all pretty good, with their own pros and cons?

Again thanks for helping out.

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:06:01 PM »
i was in section 3 and i thought it was by far the best section last year. The problem is that they switched around all the professors and u r all new students so it will be luck of the draw.  r u already living in norman?

sooner12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:01:56 AM »
Yeah, I live in Norman.  Graduated from OU officially in May, Political Science.  How long you been here?  Actually we're moving into a new place over the coming weekend.  Who'd you have in last year's section 3? 

I think you're right on about just gotta get lucky with who's in it and who's teaching. 

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 01:09:46 PM »
ive been here a year.  Last year in section 3 i had mccall, richter, swank and coyne

purpeng

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »
Penrose = probably the best 1L professor I had.  Highly, highly recommended.

I also learned a lot from Winchell, but Penrose has almost universal popularity, for good reason. 

If you're not politically/socially conservative, you might find Scaperlanda hard to sit through.  But maybe that was just me.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters.  Like Verbal, I think my section (4) was the best.  :)