Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grades and the Law Review Write on  (Read 2440 times)

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Grades and the Law Review Write on
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
At UGA there is no grade-on.  The law review people said grades and the write-on packet are used together to determine law review and membership to the other journals.  Does anyone else have a similar system and if so, do you know how much weight is given to grades and how much is given to the write-on?

Gwar301

• View Profile
Re: Grades and the Law Review Write on
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 09:00:52 AM »
Yes, my school has a similar system. They told us grades and the write-on are weighted "equally" in determining membership. The top 5% (9 people) can grade on--but the remaining 25 spots are so are a combination of the two.

Nevertheless, an advisor at my school told me that when push comes to shove, grades are weighted more heavily than the paper--the paper isn't a formality, per se, but if you're not in the top 15-20% i guess you have a huge uphill climb getting on.

Lucero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »
Eli-
I am familiar with UGA's journal write on process. Let me tell you, it was almost as painful for the 2Ls to grade your write on as it was for you to write it. Those topics were brutal. To be honest, I think they keep the exact %s confidential and the journals vary, but I believe law review is 60% grades / 40% write on score (with blue booking weighted more than the essay). The other journals are 50/50 I think.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 09:00:43 PM »
Eli-
I am familiar with UGA's journal write on process. Let me tell you, it was almost as painful for the 2Ls to grade your write on as it was for you to write it. Those topics were brutal. To be honest, I think they keep the exact %s confidential and the journals vary, but I believe law review is 60% grades / 40% write on score (with blue booking weighted more than the essay). The other journals are 50/50 I think.

Thanks for the info, when are calls going out?