Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job Prospects...  (Read 1468 times)

jumbo11

• View Profile
    • Email
Job Prospects...
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:47:44 AM »
I attend a T3 with a strong regional reputation. I'm in the top 8% of my class after 1L, and am a member of the Law Review. I had a good deal of work experience before attending law school as an intern and paralegal at a well-respected plaintiff's litigation firm; I'm spending my first summer in the state's largest District Attorney's Office.

Assuming my grades remain the same or increase slightly, can any 3L's or recent grad's shed some light on my prospects for OCI, as well as career prospects generally (Biglaw chances?). I ask this question for one reason -- an area of concern I think effects many law students: By the time I graduate, I'll be looking at $100 in student loans, including undergrad. I'll need a well-paying job when I graduate (not to mention I'm very interested in working in a large litigation firm).

I know there are so many factors that determine whether a large firm will hire you (people, writing, and interview skills, to name a few). I guess I'm looking for personal experiences that might answer my question, looking only at tangible factors. Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Job Prospects...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »
100 hundred dollars in school loans? thats awesome haha

but seriously, we would really need to know what area you are in as well as the competition in that area... do you have any inclination to transfer?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

jumbo11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 10:25:12 AM »
I wish I had $100 in loans. Amazing what a single "k" can do. I go to Suffolk - t3 in Boston.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:30:57 AM »
hey, i dont go to suffolk but i do go to BU which is also in boston and from what ive seen you'll have a great shot at firms in boston from the top 8% of your class. there seems to be a substantial amount of suffolk grads at most boston firms..

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:46:10 AM »
you know, I've heard everything from "you're doomed if you're not in the top 10%" to stats which show a median of 60k in private practice (which is reassuring to me). I'm guessing-- that the people who go on about being doomed are the ones who expect BIGLAW 120k salaries out the gate. and for some reason I keep on hearing lots about disappointed Brooklyn and Loyola law students. what gives?

Cuse2L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 03:31:26 PM »
As a 2L at a T3 school, I too worry about my job prospects.  However, it should also be remembered that BigLaw has an incredibly high turnover rate, according to an article I read last month in www.slate.com, 80% of BigLaw new hires quit within five years.  Plus, for what it's worth, I have a few buddies who graduate from top 20 schools, and half of them hated their big law jobs and quit within two years to work in government, solo practices, etc.  The thing I try to remember is that when I graduate I will still be in my 20s, and when I just think about my Dad for example and how many different jobs he has had in his life so far, it makes me a lot less nervous.  Regardless of how much money you are making when you first graduate, chances are you will only work at that job for 5 years max.   

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »
As a 2L at a T3 school, I too worry about my job prospects.  However, it should also be remembered that BigLaw has an incredibly high turnover rate, according to an article I read last month in www.slate.com, 80% of BigLaw new hires quit within five years.  Plus, for what it's worth, I have a few buddies who graduate from top 20 schools, and half of them hated their big law jobs and quit within two years to work in government, solo practices, etc.  The thing I try to remember is that when I graduate I will still be in my 20s, and when I just think about my Dad for example and how many different jobs he has had in his life so far, it makes me a lot less nervous.  Regardless of how much money you are making when you first graduate, chances are you will only work at that job for 5 years max.   

true, BIGLAW does have high turnover rates, but I'd wager that those more desirable work environments, the ones with fewer hours and lower pay, are easier for those from top law schools to land. so much to worry about...

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 08:12:39 PM »
btw, can any solid T2 graduates enlighten us on how their classes fared after graduation? ie what sort of jobs, where they were located, etc.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 03:12:15 PM »
I wish I had $100 in loans. Amazing what a single "k" can do. I go to Suffolk - t3 in Boston.

Do you know BAFF? 

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »
Yay for Baff!!!