Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So my crap school has a guy working at Cravath  (Read 7622 times)

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So my crap school has a guy working at Cravath
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2007, 11:27:06 AM »
That was pretty funny that I caught Buddy Holly lying on the boards...Now, everything he's ever said is probably discredited.  I'm sure there are many, many more people on these boards just like him.  Keep that in mind when you read some of these posts.  People are sometimes just trying to scare you.

Wholeheartedly agree

You ran his arse off
 ;D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2007, 12:07:07 PM »
I just would look more favorably at the person who has the higher ranking/better grades than the person who comes from a T14 with a lower rank and GPA who simply relies n their school name to get them to where they want to be.

And you're opinion matters here because...??  Unless you're a recruiter at a firm, what you would view more favorably is pretty irrelevant.

Wait a minute, easy slim. I guess i must have struck a nerve there ;D

Who said my opinion mattered? If u dont like it, take it with a grain of salt and move on. Nobody is forcing you to accpet it. I see insecurity runs amuck on these boards.

Not offended at all - I'm just pointing out that your encouragement was more than a little naive since what you view as more favorable/better really doesn't matter since you're not in a position to offer anyone a job at this point in time.

It's nice that you think you're opinions are important enough to offend someone though.  :-*

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2007, 03:06:53 PM »
I just would look more favorably at the person who has the higher ranking/better grades than the person who comes from a T14 with a lower rank and GPA who simply relies n their school name to get them to where they want to be.

And you're opinion matters here because...??  Unless you're a recruiter at a firm, what you would view more favorably is pretty irrelevant.

Wait a minute, easy slim. I guess i must have struck a nerve there ;D

Who said my opinion mattered? If u dont like it, take it with a grain of salt and move on. Nobody is forcing you to accpet it. I see insecurity runs amuck on these boards.

Not offended at all - I'm just pointing out that your encouragement was more than a little naive since what you view as more favorable/better really doesn't matter since you're not in a position to offer anyone a job at this point in time.

It's nice that you think you're opinions are important enough to offend someone though.  :-*

Whoa now

When did my opinion on how i view how i would rather have it be, come off as encouragement. That last statement was merely an opinion. Take it or leave it because I'll still say what i want, to whom i want. Dont like it, log off.

My encouragement moreso came in a realistic view at the sentences above the last one that u did not quote. Where i said its not impossible to get into BIGLAW, but not very realistic either. Nonetheless, dont let that deter you from doing what you want to do.

Naive advice and encouragement ???
Who am i to say you'll never get a job in BIGLAW. I dont hold the key to that lock. But i can sure as hell tell you to not stop trying either and let the words of people like you deter them. That would be a sadcase

Im a realist and an optimist. I'll tell you the raw deal, but i wont tell you it CAN'T happen either

Obviously i offended you from the tone in which you wrote the sentence that sparked this along with your reply of a mere opinion, MY opinion.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2007, 09:55:30 PM »
http://www.cravath.com/directory.aspx

There are associates from unranked schools -- probably were at the very top of their classes, but there you go.

Unranked?? Really? which school?

I saw 'cuse and albany in there

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2007, 09:58:17 PM »
For the record, I wasn't trying to debunk the "myth" that only people from T14 schools work for biglaw.  If anything, what I have seen so far overwhelmingly confirms that myth. 

I agree.  I thought the response was almost funny. 

Jarhead,

Read this article: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1183712786622.  One quote supporting my earlier posts: "But the eye-popping salaries are the reality for a small fraction of law school graduates, and all those stories of big money may be creating unrealistic hopes for the vast majority of law school students. Contributing to the situation is the effort by law schools to portray their employment numbers as robustly as possible to boost their ranking scores."

i read that article before you posted it here. i've worked in the legal field for the past 9 years and actually know of what i speak. there is nothing that contradicts my statement in this article. what people like you always seem to miss is that there are like something like 180 law schools only 50 are considered tier one so yes for a majority of law students i.e. those at tier 2-4 schools, these statistics hold true. however my statment was confined to tier 1. in addition outside of harvard and gt which have very large classes the average law school class at top 20 is anywhere from 100-150 top 10% of that would be 10 to 15 students per school. assuming that every single one of those students takes a job in a big law firm they would still be a small majority compared to the former, so once again not contradicted by your article. as i see you've already been busted on this board i won't bother to mention that many lawyers who don't get big law initially work in medium or small firms and then transfer to big law after 5 years or so of building a reputation. i also won't mention the fate of those elite t14 students who fail to make partner at big law and will be out the door in five years, just as that mere mortal small to mid lawyer is walking in the door.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

aldine09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Isn't the retention rate for BIGLAW firms quite small?  It's my understanding that many people quit after just a couple of years.

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
Isn't the retention rate for BIGLAW firms quite small?  It's my understanding that many people quit after just a couple of years.

yeah, don't know how this firm in particular compares with the norm for big firms. However, on the flipside, it is not like all the associates are thinking "making partner here is the sole pathway to success", especially considering the salary and experience. You can go back and forth on that for a while though...

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2007, 12:40:25 PM »
many lawyers who don't get big law initially work in medium or small firms and then transfer to big law after 5 years or so of building a reputation.

Everything is possible, but there are different levels of difficulty.  I am pretty sure it's very difficult to move from small law firm to something like Cravath.  Sure someone has done it, but can a person working at a 5 person firm expect to make such a move? Certainly not.