Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So I didnt make law review...  (Read 4525 times)

Huntington

Re: So I didnt make law review...
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 03:56:15 PM »
The only things that matter are:
1) Rank of your school
2) Your rank within your class
3) Law Review/publication
Nothing else matters.  Secondary journals are basically for dumbass who cannot make LR, employers know that.  Moot court is, guess what, moot. 

Right . . . a firm looking to hire a litigator wouldn't care about a person's ability to write briefs and make oral arguments.  And they'd refuse to consider a brilliant publication because it was published in a journal other than a law review.  Give up the Yale sig, nobody is stupid enough to believe that you're Yale material.

I don't think a moot court certificate of participation will get you anywhere, but if you do well in competition, I'm sure that will help you with some employers.  If you look in the NALP directory, some firms list a specific preference for MCs.  But if you're interested in doing transactional work, moot court probably isn't for you; you might try writing onto a journal that could give you the opportunity to publish something. 

Bottom line, do not kill self, top 6% is still pretty d**mn impressive.

Thanks for this input.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 04:24:09 PM »
There are some Judges who look for LR, or Moot Court.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »
1) Rank of your school
Nothing else matters.  Secondary journals are basically for dumbass who cannot make LR, employers know that.  Moot court is, guess what, moot.  

Right . . . a firm looking to hire a litigator wouldn't care about a person's ability to write briefs and make oral arguments.  And they'd refuse to consider a brilliant publication because it was published in a journal other than a law review.  Give up the Yale sig, nobody is stupid enough to believe that you're Yale material.

Wrong! You've just made the kind of retarded comments as only a true Cooley student can make.  As an entry level litigator, your job will be to search through discovery documents and write a few intra-office memoranda, a job anyone with a high school diploma can do.  Excellence in oral argument is not required, period.  (Preferred, no doubt, but not required).  Even as a senior associate, you might not ever get a chance to actually argue in court, because most firms have specialized team that argues or writes motions or conducts investigation.  Don't think that just because you are in the litigation dept. you will be in court all day, that's wrong.  Your comment demonstrates, clearly that you have no clue what is going on in the legal field.  Stop misleading the unfortunate and stop spreading your stupidity.  
As for good writing skill, it is a plus whether or not you're doing litigation or transactional work.  But then again, you DO NOT need to be on a secondary journal to demonstrate that you can write.  As pointed out earlier, at many schools, students can just sign on to a secondary journal, easy as eating a cake, (unless you are the moron named Alamo79, whose mother dresses him each morning and wears adult diaper, for him has not the mental capacity to sit on a toilet).  Do you think employers are dumb enough to count secondary journal participation as proof of ability to write?
Donít get me wrong though, anything positive will help you, including secondary journals and MC, but they are not that important.  
And for the record, Alamo79, I donít give a *&^% about whether you believe I am at Yale.  Do you think I care about what a moron like you think of me?  But, I bet you will have fun buying coffee for me in two years.  Good luck at your TTT school, and please, be ready to enjoy a lifetime of mediocrity.  
Yale Law School - Class of 09

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
Were grades taken into account in your Law Review process?

The top ~3% were automatically invited and then it was write on for everyone else. Im still waiting to hear back from secondary journals, so I will have to wait and see how that goes. I have no idea how moot court works at my school, so I will have to look into that. Thanks for the constructive comments.

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »
1) Rank of your school
Nothing else matters.  Secondary journals are basically for dumbass who cannot make LR, employers know that.  Moot court is, guess what, moot.  

Right . . . a firm looking to hire a litigator wouldn't care about a person's ability to write briefs and make oral arguments.  And they'd refuse to consider a brilliant publication because it was published in a journal other than a law review.  Give up the Yale sig, nobody is stupid enough to believe that you're Yale material.

Wrong! You've just made the kind of retarded comments as only a true Cooley student can make.  As an entry level litigator, your job will be to search through discovery documents and write a few intra-office memoranda, a job anyone with a high school diploma can do.  Excellence in oral argument is not required, period.  (Preferred, no doubt, but not required).  Even as a senior associate, you might not ever get a chance to actually argue in court, because most firms have specialized team that argues or writes motions or conducts investigation.  Don't think that just because you are in the litigation dept. you will be in court all day, that's wrong.  Your comment demonstrates, clearly that you have no clue what is going on in the legal field.  Stop misleading the unfortunate and stop spreading your stupidity.  
As for good writing skill, it is a plus whether or not you're doing litigation or transactional work.  But then again, you DO NOT need to be on a secondary journal to demonstrate that you can write.  As pointed out earlier, at many schools, students can just sign on to a secondary journal, easy as eating a cake, (unless you are the moron named Alamo79, whose mother dresses him each morning and wears adult diaper, for him has not the mental capacity to sit on a toilet).  Do you think employers are dumb enough to count secondary journal participation as proof of ability to write?
Donít get me wrong though, anything positive will help you, including secondary journals and MC, but they are not that important.  
And for the record, Alamo79, I donít give a *&^% about whether you believe I am at Yale.  Do you think I care about what a moron like you think of me?  But, I bet you will have fun buying coffee for me in two years.  Good luck at your TTT school, and please, be ready to enjoy a lifetime of mediocrity.  

Damn. I was expecting a decent pwn out of you. The only thing I got from your grammatically pathetic rant was that there is no possible way that English is your first language. But, I am impressed at your relative mastery of this secondary language we all take for granted. I am quite positive that, if Yale looked at TOEFL instead of LSAT, you would most definitely be a Yale student. Of course, it is possible that you were accepted to Yale because of your blatantly severe URM status and just had an American look over your personal statement. Is this what happened, Fes? 

KrazyMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 08:50:34 PM »
wrong again.  English is my first language, I only dumbed it down to your level so you can properly understand what I'd wrote. 

Marcus2009

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 08:57:28 PM »
It is shocking that the OP's failure to get on law review would spark such fiery exchange.   ;D

Marcus2009

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 08:59:20 PM »
1) Rank of your school
Nothing else matters.  Secondary journals are basically for dumbass who cannot make LR, employers know that.  Moot court is, guess what, moot. 

I am not a big fan of the Yale student, but this sounds about right. 

Alamo79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 09:37:14 PM »
1) Rank of your school

Right . . . a firm looking to hire a litigator wouldn't care about a person's ability to write briefs and make oral arguments.  And they'd refuse to consider a brilliant publication because it was published in a journal other than a law review.  Give up the Yale sig, nobody is stupid enough to believe that you're Yale material.

Wrong! You've just made the kind of retarded comments as only a true Cooley student can make.  As an entry level litigator, your job will be to search through discovery documents and write a few intra-office memoranda, a job anyone with a high school diploma can do.  Excellence in oral argument is not required, period.  (Preferred, no doubt, but not required).  Even as a senior associate, you might not ever get a chance to actually argue in court, because most firms have specialized team that argues or writes motions or conducts investigation.  Don't think that just because you are in the litigation dept. you will be in court all day, that's wrong.  Your comment demonstrates, clearly that you have no clue what is going on in the legal field.  Stop misleading the unfortunate and stop spreading your stupidity. 
As for good writing skill, it is a plus whether or not you're doing litigation or transactional work.  But then again, you DO NOT need to be on a secondary journal to demonstrate that you can write.  As pointed out earlier, at many schools, students can just sign on to a secondary journal, easy as eating a cake, (unless you are the moron named Alamo79, whose mother dresses him each morning and wears adult diaper, for him has not the mental capacity to sit on a toilet).  Do you think employers are dumb enough to count secondary journal participation as proof of ability to write?
And for the record, Alamo79, I donít give a *&^% about whether you believe I am at Yale.  Do you think I care about what a moron like you think of me?  But, I bet you will have fun buying coffee for me in two years.  Good luck at your TTT school, and please, be ready to enjoy a lifetime of mediocrity. 

I never said anything about secondary journal or MC being "required," and I'm well aware that entry-level litigators don't start out trying cases in large firms.  But who aspires to be an entry-level anything?  Eventually, if you're good enough, you'll get into court, or you'll get sick of being a peon and jump ship for a smaller or less prestigious firm that might give you that opportunity.  But some of us will someday get to try cases, and for those of us who make it, skill in writing and oral argument might help.  To the extent that MC and secondary journals can help demonstrate either of these, they matter.  That's all I was trying to say, dickfor.

And for the record, I don't buy ANYONE coffee--not even my own mother.

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 10:08:43 PM »
wrong again.  English is my first language, I only dumbed it down to your level so you can properly understand what I'd wrote. 
KrazyNazi=KrazyMarcus? What a tool. Two usernames, possibly more, changes to one when pwned in another. Plus, Marcus is a black man's name. HAHAHA! PWNED!!!!