Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bald Hair  (Read 9369 times)

LSD User

• View Profile
Bald Hair
« on: July 01, 2007, 03:31:19 AM »
Are there any law firms that consider a bald head and a goatee to not be conservative enough?  How about just the bald head and a clean shaven face?

landrover06

• View Profile
Re: Bald Hair
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:06:31 AM »
Even though a bald head is currently the rage because many men with receding hair lines have resorted to this style to appear cool, the bottom line is that a full head of hair, properly groomed, is still the epitome of class and style.  A bald head is a severe distraction despite its trendiness, except for a very small number of men whose head shapes, facial styles, and body types make being bald an option that is flattering.

A goatee on the other hand is always an obvious statement of lack of style, class, and sense.  Appearing like a "billy goat" is never cool and clashes greatly with every sense of decency and civilization.  Goatees are better left for people who want to strum banjos in the back woods, while they shoot road signs and shop at Wal-Mart.  A truly tacky look that places one closer to a trailer park than a law firm culture, likening one to a hillbilly rather than a highly developed professional.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 08:46:27 AM »
Rover, that was such a exceptional, concise response and I think  you're right on the money. I have actually opted to grow out my locks of hair and leave my can of pomade in the waste basket in order to prepare for OCI. I'm thinking Patrick Bateman ala "American Psycho" is a much better option then the short spikey hair most of my younger counterparts will be sporting. ;D

LSD User

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 04:30:35 AM »
Even though a bald head is currently the rage because many men with receding hair lines have resorted to this style to appear cool, the bottom line is that a full head of hair, properly groomed, is still the epitome of class and style.  A bald head is a severe distraction despite its trendiness, except for a very small number of men whose head shapes, facial styles, and body types make being bald an option that is flattering.

A goatee on the other hand is always an obvious statement of lack of style, class, and sense.  Appearing like a "billy goat" is never cool and clashes greatly with every sense of decency and civilization.  Goatees are better left for people who want to strum banjos in the back woods, while they shoot road signs and shop at Wal-Mart.  A truly tacky look that places one closer to a trailer park than a law firm culture, likening one to a hillbilly rather than a highly developed professional.

That's one way to look at it.  I almost get the feeling you are trying too hard to be better than the next guy.  Anyhow, you may not be alone in your interesting and colorful viewpoint, but I've been hearing from a lawyer that the bald fad has infiltrated even the legal profession.  Good thing?  Sounds like it all depends on the hiring manager.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »
well here is some input from a balding 1L.  lol...my father and grandfather have full heads of hair but thats beside the point..i guess law school has gotten to me:)
anyway, i feel that a shaved head is much better looking than letting your hair grow out on the sides while the top of your head has patches of baby fuzz on it.  makes you look 10 years older.  good luck getting a date as well.  i think the shaved/bald head can be a serious corporate and legal look as long as it is done with class.  clean shaven face as well.  even if you want to sport a goatee it has to be neat and clean around the edges...

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 01:00:05 PM »
well here is some input from a balding 1L.  lol...my father and grandfather have full heads of hair but thats beside the point..i guess law school has gotten to me:)

Just a note on genetics... You get your hair from your mother's side of the family, if you're a man.

And goatees are indeed tacky.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 01:07:52 PM »
that must explain that whig she is sporting lately....

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 01:30:27 PM »

Just a note on genetics... You get your hair from your mother's side of the family, if you're a man.

And goatees are indeed tacky.

This is folklore, except for the goatee part

SergioCQH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »
While we're on the topic of hair, what about a military cut? Not quite bald but not full hair either.

TPS Report

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »
What about bald females?  Sometimes I just hate the hassle of styline hair.

And male-pattern baldness is definitely passed through the mother.  It's on the X, which men receive from their mother.