Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gambling with OCI  (Read 5551 times)

GuysRea

• View Profile
Gambling with OCI
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:55:42 PM »
Has anyone used OCI bids to take chances with new cities? My school gives us 75 bids for which we are told to realistically expect 15-20 on-campus interviews. For those 15-20 "real" bids, I am considering dividing them up between:

1) My hometown where I would not be opposed to coming back to after law school (Phila).
2) The town my school is in (DC).
3) A town that fits into neither category but that I could see myself living in after law school and that has plenty of law firms coming to campus for OCI (Chicago).

For those who have been adventurous with their OCI bids, how did it turn out? Did you go all out and divide the bids up equally or did you heavily favor one or two cities?

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Gambling with OCI
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:48:14 PM »
We don't have bids, but I would agree that Home-town and School locations are the strongest places to look. I have a few signals on my resume that directly or indirectly indicate my home-town and interest in it's legal community.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:34:15 PM »
If you're planning on trying out a new city, you should definitely make sure you split your summer with a firm located in one of your "sure thing" locations.

Trying something new is always good, but it can be hard to "undo" something like your 2L summer job if you don't like the city.  Interviewing as a 3L, even if you have an offer from your 2L firm, is hit or miss.

GuysRea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:31:05 PM »
Have any other LSDers used OCI to interview for (or secure) a summer associate position in a city that was neither their hometown nor the city in which their law school was located? How did it go?

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
i think its more difficult to secure a summer position in a firm thats in a "new city" b/c they are going to ask you why you want to work in that city, as they see you have no ties to it. additionally, if your school isnt a national one, they may not recruit there/have alot of alums from there/etc.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »
So, I have just above a 3.0 at a Top 25.  I'll have about 10 years of work experience upon graduation. Am I still screwed for OCI? ???

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »
just above a 3.0 on what curve?

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:52:39 PM »
Median is around a 3.2.  dooomed?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »
If you get 75 bids, then you are at Georgetown because I am at GW and we get 35 bids.  What is your class standing?

3.0 with a 3.2 median definitely is an uphill battle and will not likely be getting a job through OCI, but you never know.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 06:07:11 PM »
Uphill battle. That's what I've been told. I did transfer in and my first year grades put me in the Top 5% of my former school. I would think that and my 10 years of practical work experience might help a little.