Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JMLS-Atlanta....transferring to South Carolina?  (Read 1091 times)

guard0544

• View Profile
JMLS-Atlanta....transferring to South Carolina?
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:15:44 AM »
Hello,
I will begin law school this fall at JMLS-Atlanta. Ideally I would be able to tranfer to South Carolina after my first year(or semester if that is an option). Obviously you want to be in the top part of your class. What are some other things as an L1 you can do to strengthen your chances of transferring into another school? I thought I would be accepted to S.C. when I applied, obviously I was wrong. :P

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JMLS-Atlanta....transferring to South Carolina?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
Although I don't go to JMLS, this hold true regardless of where you go.  Start outlining early on in the semester, take tons pf practice test, and stay focused!  Best of Luck

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:25:47 AM »
Another thing you should investigate is does South Carolina or other target schools allow transfers from non-AALS accrdited schools.  Some school will not even consider your transfer app if your 1L school is not AALS.  You should definitely check this out early.

shady2009

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:46:12 PM »
This has been said many times, but you would be better served by taking a year or two off, getting some work experience and retaking the LSAT.  I'm sure from your position it seems like being at the top of your class will be easy (since you've probably been there for most of your academic career), but you have no idea how competitive law school is, especially at lessly regarded law school.  At a lower-ranked law school you have three things working against being in the top of the class: (1) People who go into law school are, in my opinion, naturally competitive.  Practically everyone has done well in school for most of their lives.  (2)  At a lower tier law school, you need to do well if you want to have any career prospects whatsoever.  If you are in the bottom of your class at a top school, you probably will still have some options, but if you are at the bottom a 4th tier school, managing a Starbucks might be in your future.  (3) Lastly, you are probably not the only person enrolling in a law school thinking about transferring up.  Transferring seems to be the new fad (just look at other threads, people at Michigan, UVA, etc. are even trying to transfer up).  Those students who are looking up know that they have to do really, really well, and study accordingly.

I'm sure that none of this will hit home for you, so here is my other piece of advice.  Enjoy the rest of the summer, because you will almost literally have to live in the library come the fall.  Others will say that you don't have to study that much to do well, and they might be right.  But if you go to John Marshall, simply so you can transfer up, you need to be prepared to spend 60+ hours (outside of class) per week studying to put yourself in a position where, if you have a good couple of weeks of finals, you can be in the top 10%.  Best of luck to you.

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:59:21 PM »
If you really want Univ. of South Carolina, retake the LSAT. The school doesn't require stratospheric LSAT score for admission, so you could probably get the score you'd need with some serious studying and hard work. Talk to admissions and find out what you'd need to have a serious shot at admission.

Don't go to Marshall-Atlanta if you don't want to graduate from there.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 11:17:13 PM »

I agree with this. It is possible to transfer, but you absolutely positively can't count on getting the opportunity to do so. If you really don't want to graduate from JMLS, then it might be better for you to reconsider now, before you've started, and retake the LSAT or do whatever is necessary for you to get admitted to SC (or some other school you really want to graduate from).

To give you some perspective on the difficulty of transferring....I've heard administration officials at my school (GSU) say that they pretty much will only consider the top 1-3 students from JMLS for transfer (not the top 1-3%, but the actual top 1-3 individuals). Good luck whatever you decide.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »

I agree with this. It is possible to transfer, but you absolutely positively can't count on getting the opportunity to do so. If you really don't want to graduate from JMLS, then it might be better for you to reconsider now, before you've started, and retake the LSAT or do whatever is necessary for you to get admitted to SC (or some other school you really want to graduate from).

To give you some perspective on the difficulty of transferring....I've heard administration officials at my school (GSU) say that they pretty much will only consider the top 1-3 students from JMLS for transfer (not the top 1-3%, but the actual top 1-3 individuals). Good luck whatever you decide.

I agree that you should be careful about attending a school you don't want to graduate from, but your GSU example is not really helpful.  GSU is a really tough school to transfer into because of the good rep in Atlanta and the super low tutition for GA residents.  (I did my UG at GSU)

I came from a AALS T4 and was denied transfer to gsu, but got into two T1s.  Another transfer student at my school was Top 10% at John Marshall and now attends my school (a T1).  So its possible to transfer out.  Just be careful about committing to John Marshall b/c top grades are not guaranteed.  Also, be careful about the AALS requirement at many schools.