Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Long-Term Jobs  (Read 484 times)

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
Long-Term Jobs
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:36:29 PM »
What are some of the pros and cons of having a summer-through-school-year job? I accepted a clerking position that is 1L summer up to the time I graduate. I'm kept quite busy - memos, serving notice, administrative stuff at the courthouse, and I go on arbitration/oral argument "field trips" with staff attorneys now and again.

I'm happy to have a stable job and I'm glad the work is diverse and practical, but am I better off here than if I had taken an internship with the AG or a small firm where I had other offers?

'pumpkin
----------------------
Signed, Sealed Delivered: Albany
Hit the Road Jack:
Get it While You Can: Suffolk (Waitlisted/Withdrawn)
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind:Quinnipiac

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=schlin96

Law Geek

• View Profile
Re: Long-Term Jobs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:42:33 PM »
is there a possibility you may get a job offer after your second year in that firm?

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »
It's not a firm, its the General Counsel's office for a labor union. I think 4/7 staff attorneys were previously law clerks, so it's quite possible. :)
'pumpkin
----------------------
Signed, Sealed Delivered: Albany
Hit the Road Jack:
Get it While You Can: Suffolk (Waitlisted/Withdrawn)
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind:Quinnipiac

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=schlin96

Law Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 04:28:11 PM »
i heard in house counsel make good money, not as much as some private firm lawyers, but still good $$. i know a girl that did an internship such as yours and it brought her into contact w/many other private firms. during her 2nd year she interviewed at a BIGLAW firm for a summer associate position. this BIGLAW firm did business with the firm she worked for. since they knew her from her 1L summer, she had sort of an "in"  and an advantage other students who interviewed did not. she was from a T4 school too. she got the job and the firm is known to hire its associates. this just goes to show how important networking is. i say you're definately better off working there. take advantage of the opportunies, shake evyerone's hand and make sure they remember you. in the fall, call all those attorneys you met and request an interview.