Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job prospects graduating in the middle of my class at Case Western  (Read 1274 times)

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
Re: Job prospects graduating in the middle of my class at Case Western
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
Gwiz- some people work their asses off and don't do as well as others during 1L. That's because there is one type of class and not everyone is equally successful in that type of learning environment. While it's partially a matter of perseverance, it's just as much a matter of luck. In 2L/3L you can pick whether to take a paper class/seminar or lectures so people are better able to improve their grades by picking classes in which they'll do better.
I agree in whole. That "perserverance variable" (which may be a small part of the whole package) starts before classes start.  If you begin everything thinking you are in the middle or at the end of the pack, then that is where you will probably be.  It is giving up before you have started.  I've seen it before.  People, who are perfectly capable, destroying thier chances because they never believed they could do it in the first place.  It's a psychological challenge too.  For alot of people that is the their weakness.

Yes, there is the chance that you could be the worst student in your class. You should prepare for that as well.  ;)
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

wakaranai

• View Profile
Re: Job prospects graduating in the middle of my class at Case Western
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »
Gwiz- some people work their asses off and don't do as well as others during 1L. That's because there is one type of class and not everyone is equally successful in that type of learning environment. While it's partially a matter of perseverance, it's just as much a matter of luck. In 2L/3L you can pick whether to take a paper class/seminar or lectures so people are better able to improve their grades by picking classes in which they'll do better.
I agree in whole. That "perserverance variable" (which may be a small part of the whole package) starts before classes start.  If you begin everything thinking you are in the middle or at the end of the pack, then that is where you will probably be.  It is giving up before you have started.  I've seen it before.  People, who are perfectly capable, destroying thier chances because they never believed they could do it in the first place.  It's a psychological challenge too.  For alot of people that is the their weakness.

Yes, there is the chance that you could be the worst student in your class. You should prepare for that as well.  ;)

Some of us on here are not OLs. I am not the worst student in my class by far, but even though I worked insanely hard to do well, the lecture style, timed exam class is not my best method for me to learn. I can get around that 2L/3L by picking other paper classes, but in 1L you really have no choice. I know a few of my friends and I tried our hardest to move up in the class but ended up in approximately the same place.