Law School Discussion

Non traditional students.......

Re: Non traditional students.......
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
I'm 34 and will be starting my 1L this fall as a part time evening student.  Still trying to decide if I will quit work to keep up with studying or not.  Any advice would be appreciated to those going that route. 

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »
I'm 34 and will be starting my 1L this fall as a part time evening student.  Still trying to decide if I will quit work to keep up with studying or not.  Any advice would be appreciated to those going that route. 

you and i are the same age my friend, or will be in 3 days. i quit work so that i can keep up with studying. i reduced my debt as much as possible and managed to save up a nice little piece of loot. nothing to carry me through 3 years but enough for 1 or 2 very light rainy days  :). my budget will be tight (i have car note and insurance and I was not able to completely pay off my credit card but i put a decent dent into it). i'm sure i will have to rob peter to pay paul more than a few times, but i've been broke before. also i know this is jumping ahead a little but law students are paid pretty well for their summer efforts, if you have the discipline to save you can stack yourself a little cushion over the summer. if you're one of the lucky ones to secure a firm position for 1L they get paid ok as well, though not as well as 2Ls. everyone i know who continued to work full-time planned on using their law degree at their present job, so grades weren't as much of an issue. they could just pass graduate and be ok. look at it like this, if you make your best effort do everything you possibly can to get the best grades possible and come up a little short, eeh you did the best you could and you can adjust and do better. you can probably live with that better than you could knowing that you could've been in the top whatever % if you didn't have to work. i will have the benefit of GI Bill money for my first year so I have a little more wiggle room. i understand you're situation is probably a little different. so i would say if you're really worried about finances sit down work out a budget and see if you can make it through your first year. after that you will know what works for you how much study time you need etc. and you can go back to work after that if you so desire. bottom line is we don't want to go into all this debt, and then not be get the job we want because of a job we don't want. end of my $.02...good luck

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 07:02:48 PM »
I just turned 47 last April and I'm now going into 2L in a part-time 4-year program.  I'll be 50 when I take the exam.  I was a software engineer for nearly 20 years before this career change.

I found it difficult last year to engage my mind so long.  I mean, I spent hours and hours reading, and creating case briefs. My mind became progressively conditioned to handling it. Attitude helped as well.  I didn't look at it as work, but I was genuinely delighted to be reading such interesting material.  It's all interesting too.  Going through a year of it has changed me for the better as well.  I think more clearly, feel more knowledgable, and I am closer to being an attorney than I was when I started.  It feels great and I'm forunately to be able to do it.

The biggest distraction I find are many of my younger classmates.  They are so corny with their jokes and comments, almost childlike.  Very immature and trite to say the least.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 02:02:34 PM »

you and i are the same age my friend, or will be in 3 days. i quit work so that i can keep up with studying. i reduced my debt as much as possible and managed to save up a nice little piece of loot. nothing to carry me through 3 years but enough for 1 or 2 very light rainy days  :). my budget will be tight (i have car note and insurance and I was not able to completely pay off my credit card but i put a decent dent into it). i'm sure i will have to rob peter to pay paul more than a few times, but i've been broke before. also i know this is jumping ahead a little but law students are paid pretty well for their summer efforts, if you have the discipline to save you can stack yourself a little cushion over the summer. if you're one of the lucky ones to secure a firm position for 1L they get paid ok as well, though not as well as 2Ls. everyone i know who continued to work full-time planned on using their law degree at their present job, so grades weren't as much of an issue. they could just pass graduate and be ok. look at it like this, if you make your best effort do everything you possibly can to get the best grades possible and come up a little short, eeh you did the best you could and you can adjust and do better. you can probably live with that better than you could knowing that you could've been in the top whatever % if you didn't have to work. i will have the benefit of GI Bill money for my first year so I have a little more wiggle room. i understand you're situation is probably a little different. so i would say if you're really worried about finances sit down work out a budget and see if you can make it through your first year. after that you will know what works for you how much study time you need etc. and you can go back to work after that if you so desire. bottom line is we don't want to go into all this debt, and then not be get the job we want because of a job we don't want. end of my $.02...good luck

Thanks,Jarhead, I'm thinking more about quitting now than ever.  My wife will still be working and I plan on getting into the fulltime program in the spring (I can petition the dean with good enough 1st sem grades).  I just think that the best way to get the best grades is to quit.  Thanks for the advice.

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 01:21:43 PM »
doogie:

I am an entering 1L student and I just turned 32.  What I can say is this:  For the last 4 years, I worked full-time and attended a 4 year, selective, private university~ while working full-time.  I also have a daughter that I am raising.  By the end of the 4th year I was on anxiety drugs.

Entering law school, I made a couple of decision.  I reduced my debt down to just bare essentials and I will be quitting my job.  I am taking out loans to live on.  However, I can't imagine trying to pull down the first year of law school and work too.  I have seen the schedule and WOW, is all I have to say.  Attending school and raising my child, while working would have been impossible. And she is most important to me.

So, I would say, if you can~quit.  Make law school your job.  The investment you make now will be worth it 10 years from now (or at least some very wise attorneys have told me).

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 01:31:49 PM »
My advice is to look at your situation coming out of law school, what you can reasonably expect to earn, how much you will have in loans, and see if quitting is feasible. If it is, do so.

I am entering my 2nd year, and I work full time. It's tough. Not only keeping up with the work, but you miss out on a lot. Basically I am unable to join any groups or organizations because they either meet during the day while I am at work or while I am in class.

In my situation, I needed to work. My wife can't work and we have a child to take care of. It was too much of a risk at 32 to take out the amount in loans we would have needed, knowing that if I didn't end up with a biglaw job out of school we would never be able to recover.

If you aren't in a similar situation, take the loans and enjoy the next three years.

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »
Thanks, everybody for the advice.  Right now I am going to keep working and see how well I keep up.  I can always quit if needed, but I don't want to rack up too much in loans.  I am still going to try and get into the full time program during 2nd semester, though. 

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »
I'll be 34 during my 1L year. This is a second career for me.

I'm doing this part-time, so I guess I'm even more non-traditional.