Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non traditional students.......  (Read 3070 times)

pappy13

• View Profile
Re: Non traditional students.......
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 03:30:59 PM »
Besides It's like buying a house that has the potential of over 100% return per year, can not be reposessed, and has small minimum payments ($50) for the note.

????? ???
-You could get a $100K (100% loan) note to goto L.S.  You could get a $100K (100% loan to value) note to buy a house
        -You may get a salary around $100k when you graduate L.S.(100% per year return) Your house may appreciate in value by $5k per year (5% per year return)
        -If you don't pay your school loan you won't loose the knowlege you gained, or your JD. if you don't pay your mortgage note  your house will get reposessed
        -You can opt to pay $50 per month on your school note.  On a mortgage you can not. Both can be refinanced on a regular basis.

Not that complex, not that dissimilar

(

Sorry.  I didn't understand because it was wildly out of context...mostly because an education is entirely different from real property....

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 03:50:31 PM »
Besides It's like buying a house that has the potential of over 100% return per year, can not be reposessed, and has small minimum payments ($50) for the note.

????? ???
-You could get a $100K (100% loan) note to goto L.S.  You could get a $100K (100% loan to value) note to buy a house
        -You may get a salary around $100k when you graduate L.S.(100% per year return) Your house may appreciate in value by $5k per year (5% per year return)
        -If you don't pay your school loan you won't loose the knowlege you gained, or your JD. if you don't pay your mortgage note  your house will get reposessed
        -You can opt to pay $50 per month on your school note.  On a mortgage you can not. Both can be refinanced on a regular basis.

Not that complex, not that dissimilar

(

Sorry.  I didn't understand because it was wildly out of context...mostly because an education is entirely different from real property....
Not really.  But I'm begining to realize that (at least on LSD) law students have a terrible time drawing connections.  I suspect it a matter of undergraduate training.  I studied finance so to me they are both mathmatically the same.  They're both assets one is of more intrinsic, but both are used financially in the same manner.  Getting a JD is a better investment unless your real estate investment is in donald Trump sized projects. 

I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

taplinb

• View Profile
    • Cui Bono
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 09:35:23 PM »
I am a 43-year-old incoming full-time 1L, and the reading load kinda scares me, particularly as I must do most of my share during working hours so I can have time with my wife and young child after dinner. Otherwise, this promises to be much more fun, and potentially more lucrative (not a primary objective), than another 17 years in tech support.

Do or do not. There is no try. -Yoda

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 11:17:30 PM »
I will be 34 when I begin 1L, i'm a vet as well, although not a war vet per say. I spent most of my time hunting terrorists in sandy places and had to duck a bullet or two from  time to time so...no i'm not stressing law school at all i know it will be hard work but hard work ain't nothin'
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 12:36:49 AM »
I will be 38 when I start 1L next year.  My first love was always music, and I have spent the great majority of my time playing.  I volunteered for several theater groups (mostly of young people) playing in pit orchestras, while working at a "big law" firm during the days.  After 18 years of having lawyers telling me I should go to law school (and others telling me I would have to be crazy to even consider it!) I finally decided it was time.  I'm really glad I waited, but I'm SO excited to get started now.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

jsh26

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 10:40:04 AM »
Just adding my voice to the chorus. I'll be 37 next week and just finished by first year as a part-time evening student. It's alot, combined with full time work, but the grades are good so far. Definitely worth it.

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 02:10:58 PM »
I'm 35 and will be a 1L this fall. This will be my third career (spent 5 years as a journalist and the last 8 in PR.) It should have been my first career, but I'm so glad I waited. I've had a great ride in my two other jobs and I'm much more mature now vs. when I was 22. Right now, I'm not nervous, I think life has taught me not to sweat too much. But, I am just excited to get this thing started already! Once you finally decide to take the plunge, the waiting can get excruciating.

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 02:17:45 PM »
Began the journey when I was 35.  Worked full time, went to school at night while supporting a family.  Now a lawyer at 39 and truly enjoying myself.  Was well worth the pain (and it IS painful!)  :)

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 02:21:51 PM »
Began the journey when I was 35.  Worked full time, went to school at night while supporting a family.  Now a lawyer at 39 and truly enjoying myself.  Was well worth the pain (and it IS painful!)  :)
No pain no gain. and I bet it hurts soooo good! :)
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 02:27:01 PM »
No pain no gain. and I bet it hurts soooo good! :)

I really enjoyed law school, but there was just "too much" of it.  It completely takes over your life.  But I think going the "non-traditional" route makes you appreciate it that much more.  And it's a lot of fun on the other side!  Hang in there all.  You'll be happy you did!   ;D