Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non traditional students.......  (Read 3069 times)

just wondering

• View Profile
Non traditional students.......
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:37:40 PM »
So how many of you are going into law school as a second career around or over the age of 40.  Are you finding it difficult to get the minding back in school?

Legally Gray

• It's never to late to be who you might have been
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Non traditional students.......
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 01:54:19 AM »
I will be 60 tomorrow and just finished 1L, 2nd in my class.  It was the best decision I ever made.  I am much more focused and disciplined than I was when I was 20.  I plan to practice Elder Law, which will be appropriate considering my age!!
Legally Gray

DaRaiders

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 07:32:30 AM »
I'll turn 37 on the first day of class this fall. Its been about four years since I've been out of grad school, so the routine of classes will take some getting use to. However, I've been studying for the CFA during that time so I've been keeping my mind sharp reading and comprehending large amounts of dense material to take those exams.

nontradl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
I turned 40 during the finals period of my 1L first semester. I did slightly better than average first semester as I got oriented to the LS learning experience (unlike anything else), muuuuuuch better second semester, and finished a whisker outside the top 25% of my class. It was tough and rewarding. I was far from the only 30+, and even 35+, person in my class. I wasn't even the oldest person in my class.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:17:33 PM »
I will be a 1L this fall, and this is a 2nd career for me. I'll turn 30 while in school, and I'm a little nervous about fitting in with the rest of the students and hoping my brain can get used to all the reading.
Vanderbilt 2010

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 12:31:27 PM »
I'm a 1L this Fall and will turn 32 in Nov.  I wasn't the best student in the past when it came to homework, and studying.  I got good grades but I never needed the disciplne I suspect I will need for L.S..  So while I know my experience has prepared me mentally, and organizatin wise; I'm a little concerned about staying the course and hitting the books everyday.

I'm taking the advice of those who said treat it like a job.  So I planed a 10 - 13 hour work day which should make everything easier.  I've also calulated the cost at $69 per hour in class which I'm not interested in waisting F'ing around.

I don't fear the stress because I'm a war vet, and have experienced more stressful life and death type situations.  If I get a B- I'm not really going to sweat it much.  It will mean I have to change my after JD plans.  I'm finishing L.S. no matter what, and I could care less about the debt.  This is for me. Besides It's like buying a house that has the potential of over 100% return per year, can not be reposessed, and has small minimum payments ($50) for the note.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

westward

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 12:50:49 PM »
I'm going to be a 2L in the fall and I will turn 40 my 3L year.  There's much more reading than I expected, but after raising kids and working full time for the last 15 years or so, it feels like a sabbatical. 

rugercaptain

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 01:54:08 PM »
I will be 60 tomorrow and just finished 1L, 2nd in my class.  It was the best decision I ever made.  I am much more focused and disciplined than I was when I was 20.  I plan to practice Elder Law, which will be appropriate considering my age!!

Kudos to you!   :)  I'll be 46 when I start LS this fall.  I, too, expect to be much more focused and disciplined than when I was in college.  After almost twenty years in the fire service, I'm looking forward to this second career, and will probably practice labor/employment law or health care law, since that's where most of my real-world experience lies.
Cleveland-Marshall 3L.

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 02:54:28 PM »
Besides It's like buying a house that has the potential of over 100% return per year, can not be reposessed, and has small minimum payments ($50) for the note.

????? ???

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »
Besides It's like buying a house that has the potential of over 100% return per year, can not be reposessed, and has small minimum payments ($50) for the note.

????? ???
-You could get a $100K (100% loan) note to goto L.S.  You could get a $100K (100% loan to value) note to buy a house
        -You may get a salary around $100k when you graduate L.S.(100% per year return) Your house may appreciate in value by $5k per year (5% per year return)
        -If you don't pay your school loan you won't loose the knowlege you gained, or your JD. if you don't pay your mortgage note  your house will get reposessed
        -You can opt to pay $50 per month on your school note.  On a mortgage you can not. Both can be refinanced on a regular basis.

Not that complex, not that dissimilar

(
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.