Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tier 4 transfer to Cornell??  (Read 8266 times)

Sepatown

• View Profile
Re: Tier 4 transfer to Cornell??
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 03:20:04 PM »
I just finished in the top 1% of a Tier4 law school. my ranking is #9/ 560. my 1st semester GPA was a 3.53, second semester, 4.0. this brings me to 3.77 overall GPA for my 1L. the grade curve is a C. I made moot court and have won a book award for legal research and writing. i applied for transfer to some top schools, such as cornell, bu, and bc. i had an awful LSAT grade (won't even mention it here) but my UGPA was 3.8.  what do you think my chances are of making such a huge leap? 

You finished in the top 1% but finished with a rank of 9/560?

YOU EITHER GO TO COOLEY AND F'ED UP CHANGING THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF STUDENTS OR YOU'RE JUST STUPID. YOU ARE IN THE TOP 2% BUT THAT WOULD BE GAY TO SAY, JUST SAY YOUR RANK WHICH IS 9/1560 WHCIH IS TOP 1% WHICH IS COOLEY. OR YOU GO TO WIDENER OR FCSL AND F'ED UP THOSE NUMBERS, TOO. YOU'RE LYING IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Law Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 10:16:29 PM »
I go to FCSL for your information ! I did not "f" up my rank #s as you say ! if you divide 9 by 559 and multiply it by 100, you get 1.6. I did not  round it off to 2%. i'm not sure whether schools do so or not. which ever way i phrase it though, i am at the top of my class. i was giving this information to better assist other forum visitors in giving me advice. it was not intended to incite some sort of a riot on your part. i am on this board, genuinely, looking for guidance. if you have nothing productive to say, keep your thoughts to yourself. i seriosly doubt you would speak to me that way if we were standing face to face. however, i guess hiding behind this discussion board gives you the strength and right to call me stupid. well you're wrong. i am a smart, ambitious, hard working woman. i have an excellent academic record and your rants cannot erase that. however, your behavior has given me a glimpse of your lack of class and intelligence, entitling me to call you a jackass. in the future, if you would like to say something to me, send me an private message and i'd be glad to give you my phone # and we can exchange some "pleasantries" that way. i'm not going to respond to anymore of your forum comments.

oh, and by the way....there is no need to belittle cooley, fcsl, and widener. obviously, if they were crappy schools, as you are insinuating, they wouldn't be ABA approved or have any students pass the bar, now would they? fcsl personally, had the highest bar passage rate in the state, i think 7 year into its existance. the point is, you don't go there, ( or u did and u failed, making you an angry law school dropout bum)so you don't know what the hell you are talking about ! my year at FCSL has been great. the teachers are wonderful, the school is great, the career services are great, the law library is state of the art, the area is fertile w/ job opportunities......it's a great school. the ONLY reasons i am applying for transfer is b/c i want to practice law in the northeast and a degree from one of the schools mentioned will mean more than FCSL. however, if i stay where i am, i will still be a bigger success than you ! if you are a student, whichever law school you go to, even if harvard, your degree may mean a lot...but once you actually get into the office and you begin acting like the jackass that you obviously are....your degree will mean zero. so take a lesson from me, a mere FCSL student...change your attitude !

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »
I go to FCSL for your information ! I did not "f" up my rank #s as you say ! if you divide 9 by 559 and multiply it by 100, you get 1.6. I did not  round it off to 2%. i'm not sure whether schools do so or not. which ever way i phrase it though, i am at the top of my class. i was giving this information to better assist other forum visitors in giving me advice. it was not intended to incite some sort of a riot on your part. i am on this board, genuinely, looking for guidance. if you have nothing productive to say, keep your thoughts to yourself. i seriosly doubt you would speak to me that way if we were standing face to face. however, i guess hiding behind this discussion board gives you the strength and right to call me stupid. well you're wrong. i am a smart, ambitious, hard working woman. i have an excellent academic record and your rants cannot erase that. however, your behavior has given me a glimpse of your lack of class and intelligence, entitling me to call you a jackass. in the future, if you would like to say something to me, send me an private message and i'd be glad to give you my phone # and we can exchange some "pleasantries" that way. i'm not going to respond to anymore of your forum comments.

oh, and by the way....there is no need to belittle cooley, fcsl, and widener. obviously, if they were crappy schools, as you are insinuating, they wouldn't be ABA approved or have any students pass the bar, now would they? fcsl personally, had the highest bar passage rate in the state, i think 7 year into its existance. the point is, you don't go there, ( or u did and u failed, making you an angry law school dropout bum)so you don't know what the hell you are talking about ! my year at FCSL has been great. the teachers are wonderful, the school is great, the career services are great, the law library is state of the art, the area is fertile w/ job opportunities......it's a great school. the ONLY reasons i am applying for transfer is b/c i want to practice law in the northeast and a degree from one of the schools mentioned will mean more than FCSL. however, if i stay where i am, i will still be a bigger success than you ! if you are a student, whichever law school you go to, even if harvard, your degree may mean a lot...but once you actually get into the office and you begin acting like the jackass that you obviously are....your degree will mean zero. so take a lesson from me, a mere FCSL student...change your attitude !
please condense into 3-4 sentences and i may enlighten you with a response. All I read was that I was right that you went to FCSL (point for me) and I was right that you were a liar (559 now, instead of the previous 560). After seeing this, I decided not to read the rest of your post as nothing would be credited.

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 10:26:30 PM »

please condense into 3-4 sentences and i may enlighten you with a response. All I read was that I was right that you went to FCSL (point for me) and I was right that you were a liar (5559 now, instead of the previous 560). After seeing this, I decided not to read the rest of your post as nothing would be credited.
TITCR

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »
Law Geek, chill out and ignore the trolls. You should round your rank up for resume purposes or list the numerical rank, but you're right, you are at the top of your class.

Again, like I said before...you need to apply to more schools. Because FCSL is a young school, you may suffer a little prejudice with transfer apps. For instance, I doubt Cornell has ever taken more than 10 transfers each year. They just don't have the room. Many applicants will be coming from tier 1 schools, not schools like FCSL. If you want to get out badly, which you should if you would prefer to work in the Northeast, you are going to have to apply to more schools.

George Washington and Georgetown take a lot of transfers. Another school that seems to be friendly to transfers from lower ranked schools is University of Illinois, but that's not in the northeast and would be better for Chicago, say. That doesn't mean you can't get a job on the east coast with a degree from that school. Columbia and NYU would be longshots, probably, but you should take a chance. Try Fordham too, maybe, although they are likely flooded with apps from all the NY area schools. Other than that, take a look at the rest of the schools from say 10-25 and apply to ones that take at least 15-20 transfers.

In general, I think you should aim high, but you may want to try some schools in the 40-60 range as safeties. Typically, I wouldn't recommend these schools for a 1st year student because many are expensive and the cost isn't justified in relation to job prospects for the average student. In your case, you've already got good grades, so if you can work out the logistics of participating in OCI, a move to a school like that would probably be worth it. You'd have better job prospects than with an FCSL degree anyway.

As an aside, if you don't mind the southeast for a while, Florida State took 59 transfers last year.

Do you have anything else in your background that might help you, like:

1. Did you attend a top school for college?

2. Are you an under represented minority?

3. Something else that distinguishes you?

Anyway, get some more apps out ASAP.

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 11:00:08 PM »
And, Geek, you are not top 1%. HTH.

Law Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 11:28:23 AM »
well i am an under represented minority, but I don't like to rely on that. my undergrad degree is from a NY private school, well respected, as far as i know.

i took your advice and applied to some other schools, just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the stats on Cornell transfer #s. I had no idea they only take 10 students!! i knew it was a long shot but i am hoping for it anyways. we'll see what happens. thank you for your time in writting all this out brightline !

LegalLatin78

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »
On LSAC.org you can view the numbers of transfers, both in and out. 

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/ShowAllSchools.aspx

Simply click on the law schools, then ABA school data, and it is on the first page under transfers.

Cornell
Transfers in 18
Transfers out 12

Brooklyn
Transfers in 19
Transfers out 29

Fordham
Transfers in 38
Transfers out 15

Boston College
Transfers in 17
Transfers out 6

Boston University
Transfers in 6
Transfers out 13

Temple
Transfers in 16
Transfers out 5

Villanova
Transfers in 11
Transfers out 17

And here is the school you should definitely check out.  They are T25, and very transfer friendly.   

Washington University School of Law
Transfers in 51
Transfers out 7

Law Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 02:17:37 PM »
this is a great resource ! thanks ! 

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 02:40:26 PM »
I have heard it is almost impossible to transfer to Cornell. Why not try transferring to schools that are better than Cornell AND transfer friendly (i.e. Georgetown, Columbia)?