Law School Discussion

Tier 4 transfer to Cornell??

Re: Tier 4 transfer to Cornell??
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 12:58:08 PM »

Washington University School of Law
Transfers in 51
Transfers out 7

A word about Washington University aka WashU in St. Louis:

They overenrolled transfers last year and will not be taking as many this year. They also had a HUGE increase in applications. Most people who applied Early Action back in January have not heard back yet. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply, just know that your chances this year are not as good as in year's past.

I agree that Law Geek should check out the stats in the ABA guide and apply to more schools.

I would definitely NOT recommend going to Brooklyn, Cardozo or any school like that in NY though. No school in NYC below Fordham is really worth going to. The top students at Brook and Cardozo are trying to get out because their job prospects aren't good in the hypercompetitive NYC job market.

Law Geek, what kind of URM are you? The only URMs that really get an help are blacks, hispanics, and native americans. If you are a first generation immigrant you might get some help too, but other than that don't expect any help.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 01:34:40 PM »
i am an immigrant.

Transfers in 51
Transfers out 7

They overenrolled transfers last year and will not be taking as many this year. They also had a HUGE increase in applications. Most people who applied Early Action back in January have not heard back yet. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply, just know that your chances this year are not as good as in year's past.

I agree that Law Geek should check out the stats in the ABA guide and apply to more schools.

I would definitely NOT recommend going to Brooklyn, Cardozo or any school like that in NY though. No school in NYC below Fordham is really worth going to. The top students at Brook and Cardozo are trying to get out because their job prospects aren't good in the hypercompetitive NYC job market.

Law Geek, what kind of URM are you? The only URMs that really get an help are blacks, hispanics, and native americans. If you are a first generation immigrant you might get some help too, but other than that don't expect any help.

One more small tip on Washington U.:

This email, from Student Bar Association president Kenley Maddux, went around at Washington University Law School in St. Louis. Alterations are in the original, except as indicated by "Ed. note."

Sent: Tue 12/12/2006 1:45 PM
To: Announcements
Subject: sex acts
Fellow Students, I received this message as a forward from Dean Bolin, and was asked to pass along the following. This is not a joke.

Excerpts of message from Don Strom, WULAW Police Chief:
Subject: High Priority -- Campus Police Alert

Today we were alerted by an Aramark supervisor that some of their employees have noted sex acts occurring at Olin Library and AB Hall. [Ed. note: AB Hall is Anheuser-Busch Hall, the law school building.]

The students usually do not have the common sense or the decency to stop when they are confronted, and seem to expect the Aramark employees to leave and come back later to do their work....

[ARAMARK employees have been instructed to report these incidents to the police in the future, and the campus police will be adding new overnight patrols through the law school. While there is no indication that the past sex acts were other than consensual, the Police will take that possibility seriously and thoroughly investigate every report. -- Don Strom]

My advice is, do not have sex at school. My understanding is that, in addition to whatever criminal sanctions are imposed, this will go into your law school record, and that it will be reported to the character and fitness panel of every state or territory that you apply to practice law in. This reporting is not a matter of discretion, and is not contingent on proof of a criminal act. Bar authorities may delay your admission, require remedial activities, or exclude you from the practice of law. Necessity is not a defense (even if your power is out at home). [Ed. note: Emphases added. But we don't get the part about the power outage.]

You have been warned. -- Kenley

Maddux's position may be unreasonable. "Sex in the stacks" is a time-honored tradition, at both undergraduate and graduate institutions.

But if you're going to do it, be smart. Follow these useful pointers. And be safe!

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=505583

Transfers in 51
Transfers out 7

This email, from Student Bar Association president Kenley Maddux, went around at Washington University Law School in St. Louis. Alterations are in the original, except as indicated by "Ed. note."

Fellow Students, I received this message as a forward from Dean Bolin, and was asked to pass along the following. This is not a joke.

Today we were alerted by an Aramark supervisor that some of their employees have noted sex acts occurring at Olin Library and AB Hall. [Ed. note: AB Hall is Anheuser-Busch Hall, the law school building.]

The students usually do not have the common sense or the decency to stop when they are confronted, and seem to expect the Aramark employees to leave and come back later to do their work....

[ARAMARK employees have been instructed to report these incidents to the police in the future, and the campus police will be adding new overnight patrols through the law school. While there is no indication that the past sex acts were other than consensual, the Police will take that possibility seriously and thoroughly investigate every report. -- Don Strom]

My advice is, do not have sex at school. My understanding is that, in addition to whatever criminal sanctions are imposed, this will go into your law school record, and that it will be reported to the character and fitness panel of every state or territory that you apply to practice law in. This reporting is not a matter of discretion, and is not contingent on proof of a criminal act. Bar authorities may delay your admission, require remedial activities, or exclude you from the practice of law. Necessity is not a defense (even if your power is out at home). [Ed. note: Emphases added. But we don't get the part about the power outage.]

Maddux's position may be unreasonable. "Sex in the stacks" is a time-honored tradition, at both undergraduate and graduate institutions.

But if you're going to do it, be smart. Follow these useful pointers. And be safe!

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=505583

lol your funny, abovethelaw! ;)

Everyone knows what stupid law school Washington U. has.

Re:
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
This was a regular occurence at Boalt Hall, either in the stacks located in the basement or in the East Reading Room Conference Rooms... not that I would know first hand... Boalt Hall's stacks are like a horrible cave, it's not surprising that all sorts of illicit activity occurs there. The East Reading reading room conference rooms have glass door now though.

ayn

Everyone knows what stupid law school Washington U. has.

It doesn't have to do with the Wash Univ, it's more because of the wall-to-wall boredom that St. Louis offers -- a city where young peole have nowhere to go. If you have ever lived in Chicago you'd notice how many St. Louis' residents drive hours and hours every week to have some real fun.

This e-mail is really weird!

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 04:26:46 AM »
It's not weird, it's downright stupid.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 01:33:10 AM »

I just finished in the top 1% of a Tier4 law school. my ranking is #9/ 560. my 1st semester GPA was a 3.53, second semester, 4.0. this brings me to 3.77 overall GPA for my 1L. the grade curve is a C. I made moot court and have won a book award for legal research and writing. i applied for transfer to some top schools, such as cornell, bu, and bc. i had an awful LSAT grade (won't even mention it here) but my UGPA was 3.8.  what do you think my chances are of making such a huge leap? 

What's your LSAT score?