Law School Discussion

Work and School

Work and School
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:45:02 PM »
Guys I have a question. Currently I'm finishing up my BBA in finance and Admin at HBU.

I plan on applying to University of Houston, but I noticed that the classes run from 9am to 5pm, M-F. Now is the norm? How the hell do you guys hold a job down? I'm married, and have been for about 3 years now, I don't have the luxury of "just" going to school. I am extremely worried about not being able to work enough to support us "she may go to Pharm school"

Do you guys have corp jobs? Part time? Mom and Dad?

LBJFan

• View Profile
Re: Work and School
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:51:47 PM »
I think that 9-5 M-F may just be a range i.e. you could have classes anytime during that period (but not the whole period). I can't imagine that any 1L program would utilize that much class time.

But...that doesnt mean you should be working necessarily. Maybe during your 2nd or 3rd years. I had a bunch of classmates with kids and/or spouses and they were able to survive on the student budget with the standard allowances for family type expenses without working. I don't know how they did it, so I guess thats not entirely helpful but don't think that all three years your schedule will be as time consuming as 1L.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:58:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply. To tell you the truth, I'm really freaking out. I'm young, Married "happily" work full time, and in College with good grades in a double major BBA.And honestly, its a female dog, but well worth it. However I'm finding that the reality of whats soon to be is overwhelming and I don't know how it could get any worse. TO add insult to injury, I'm smart, but no genius, and I know I will have to study more than the average student. lol, sometimes I think I'm going to roll over and die rofl. :P

LBJFan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:14:54 AM »
No problem

I know what you're feeling and its totally doable. My approach to law school was slightly cynical and completely rebellious but that seems to be the problem...a lot of people don't seem to think they can do law school on their terms. I guess thats the sheep mentality.

I treated 1L like a full time job i.e 8 hours a day. No more. If I had 3 hours worth of class...then I studied for 5 hours  (whether I had 5 hours worth of work or not). If I had 5 hours worth of class (which Im not sure ever actually happened) then I studied for 3 hours. If all the cases didnt get read...oh well...a few hours on the weekend would cure that. Of course all bets are off during finals  ;D

Don't let law school run your life. By all means work hard but don't freak out!  :D I would suggest having an intimate  working knowldge of what kind of student you are, how you learn, what works best for you and making sure you DO THAT. Don't feel like you have to be in the library at all hours because other people are there or study in groups because other people do it. Do what works for you and your family...its totally possible to do well on terms that work for YOU. 

Good luck!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:24:54 AM »
If someone was standing behind me while I read your last post they probably would have seen the weight come off my shoulders lol,

Thanks!

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:32:51 AM »
Don't let law school run your life. By all means work hard but don't freak out!  :D I would suggest having an intimate  working knowldge of what kind of student you are, how you learn, what works best for you and making sure you DO THAT. Don't feel like you have to be in the library at all hours because other people are there or study in groups because other people do it. Do what works for you and your family...its totally possible to do well on terms that work for YOU. 

This is advice everyone should take to heart.  I think this is one of the biggest things that seperates who does well in law school vs. who struggles.  Knowing how you learn is so important.  If you don't know how you best retain and apply information, and you respond by simply working harder, you still won't be learning the material very well.  You might memorize every word from every case, but when it comes time to apply those case to a fact pattern, if you don't really understand them you won't do well on the test.

So take a while to think about what has really worked in the past.  Don't just focus on school settings, think about how you've learned anything, from how to hit a baseball to how to change your oil, or how to bake a cake.  Auditory vs. visual vs. haptic is one part of this.  Better with outlines and bullets or with prose?  Typing or handwriting?  The quicker you can pick up on these things and design your study habits around them, the better off you'll be.  Not just because you'll be learning more.  But also because you'll have less stress and more confidence that you really know the material.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 08:15:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply. To tell you the truth, I'm really freaking out. I'm young, Married "happily" work full time, and in College with good grades in a double major BBA.And honestly, its a female dog, but well worth it. However I'm finding that the reality of whats soon to be is overwhelming and I don't know how it could get any worse. TO add insult to injury, I'm smart, but no genius, and I know I will have to study more than the average student. lol, sometimes I think I'm going to roll over and die rofl. :P

Strong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:53:19 AM »
A girl at the top of our class held a job in insurance and went to school full-time. You have to make sure that you meet the ABA requirements, I can't recall how many hours per week you can work. I did not nor could not see myself working period, but it can be done. I think most students are not disciplined enough to do it.