Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Aid(s) Crazyness!!!  (Read 4595 times)

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
Re: Study Aid(s) Crazyness!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 02:45:05 PM »
Well I wanted to do some brief reading on some subjects so I got four E&E books covering my main four classes for the fall (Civ Pro, K, Torts, Property).  The fifth class is Legal Methods.  I actually somewhat enjoy the E&E's.  They are not too dull but read rather quickly.  Also, the hypotheticals at the end of each section quiz your knowldege on the previous readings.  Dare I say they are fun?  No - probably not:)  But the characters in the hypos do have quite interesting and comedic names.

Besides the E&E's, is it advisable to also look into outlines (Gilbert?/Emanuels?) and canned briefs keyed to the prof's casebooks as well?  Or is this over kill?  Just in the deep blue sea here and would like some lifelines as I desperately swim for shore:)
Thanks for the advice in advance...
Drew

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »
You are reading these before starting law school? Bad idea, but you 0Ls just don't learn.  You will see that every professor has his own spin on the law and you are walking into his/her class with a treatise way of looking at things.  Not to mention I can't imagine you can get ANYTHING of use out of a commercial outline before starting law school.

Seriously, CHILL OUT and wait for classes to start.

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 05:19:39 PM »
LOL, I am very chill.  I dont think there is anything wrong with getting a very basic view of some black letter law before law school.  As to what I mentioned before, I only bought the E&E's.  Ive read Planet Law School II and I am doing the 6 week prep.  The four E&E's and LEEWS.  I'm sure I will be able to alter and adjust anything I learn to my specific law professor's preference or style.  If this is nuts, I am doing the most basic PLSII prep there is.  It also told me to buy the Delaney Examsmanship books as well.  But I honestly don't have the time.

I did not get any author keyed canned briefs or buy any outlines yet.  I was just curious what you and others thought about those two items.  Were they helpful?  If I do buy any outlines or more aids, it will be during 1L.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »
The most amusing part about all of this is that a)you are never going to have time to use all of those outlines/e and e's and briefs (generally you pick one and stick with it) and b)all this effort and you are just as likely to end up in the bottom half, while some folks do nothing and get "A's."

On second thought, BUY EVERYTHING lol. 

Where are you heading in the fall? 

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 07:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I think:)  Thats why I asked is getting more than the E&E's overkill?  In a round about way you answered me.  And yes, I may end up in the bottom half of my class, but I'll try my hardest not to.

lawgirl442

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »
I didn't think it was possible to be a gunner before actually starting law school.

Impressive, sir, impressive.
UVA '10

lavender

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »
tag

SweetT*

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
I have read Planet Law School II.  I also plan to get LEEWS..good decision?  Besides that, that is where my certainty ends.

They (PLSII) tell you to get study aids.  But at this point, my head is spinning as to what study aids to get.  There are so many out there.  Emanuels, Gilberts, Examples and Explanations, High Court summaries, legalines, hornbooks, the ABC's of the UCC, Second Restatement of Torts and Contracts, etc.  I don't even know what the difference is in half of them.  Plus, I read that some study aids are keyed to the casebooks?  Should I get these supplements now before school starts?  If so, which ones?  Or wait to see how things play out after school commences?

Is this a trial and error procedure?  Get some study aids and see how you like them?  Or are there a certain set that most first year students tend to rely on?
Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

What is LEEWS?
HLS 2010

matty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 11:06:17 PM »
Get Free outlines at http://www.lawschoolstuff.net

law_3000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »
Try the interactive study aids at at www.interactivelegaltools.com. They've got a free video of exam tips by a Michigan professor, and you can download audio or video lectures for first year classes. The lectures are pretty short (under 5 hrs), so it's a good overview of first year courses.