Law School Discussion

Bar Application - 0L with a question

Bar Application - 0L with a question
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
Hello,

I wanted to know what exactly is required to be able to practice law in a state? Do you have to apply for the ABA and a State Bar? 

I also wanted to know what the application process entails in addition to passing the bar exam.

My biggest question is that I am currently collecting unemployment insurance and I wanted to know if I can continue to collect unemployment insurance while attending law school.  My worry is that this would adversely effect my bar application, and they would find out, and ask "Why were you getting unemployment insurance while in law school?"

Is that something they would see? Would it be relevant? 

What types of ramifications would occur? Does anyone have any links where I can be pointed in the right direction to answer my questions?

Thanks

Re: Bar Application - 0L with a question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:46:42 PM »
Hello,

I wanted to know what exactly is required to be able to practice law in a state? Do you have to apply for the ABA and a State Bar? 

I also wanted to know what the application process entails in addition to passing the bar exam.

My biggest question is that I am currently collecting unemployment insurance and I wanted to know if I can continue to collect unemployment insurance while attending law school.  My worry is that this would adversely effect my bar application, and they would find out, and ask "Why were you getting unemployment insurance while in law school?"

What types of ramifications would occur? Does anyone have any links where I can be pointed in the right direction to answer my questions?

Thanks

The ABA is a private organization that you do not need to be a member of, at least in PA.  I have a professor who claims to never having been a part of the ABA.  He calls it a lousy, pinko commie organization.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »
Hello,

Thanks

go to www.barbri.com

Look up your state, and go to that state's website.  It will tell you everything you need to know.  FYI, a poor credit history can effect your being allowed to sit for the bar.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:13:49 PM »
Does your state allow you to collect unemployment when you're a full-time student? If not, don't do it. If so, don't worry about it.

Will the bar see it? Maybe not -- but you'll probably tell them about it. Depending on the state app. They ask a lot of questions and the best plan is to tell the truth.