Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer School abroad during 1L summer  (Read 438 times)

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Summer School abroad during 1L summer
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:01:20 AM »
TOPIC:
what do you think about the many (and often very interesting) summer schools abroad during the 1L sumemr? (I saw there are excellent law schools that host good summer schools, especially in international law...)

1) are those who go to summer schools the same that didn't manage to get a summer job at law firms?

2) how important is attending a summer school abroad? are law firms "glad" to hire who did it?

3) any other comment or opinion?
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Summer School abroad during 1L summer
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
(a) you'll probably have a blast (travel, get laid, etc.)
(b) you'll probably boost your gpa (easy As)
(b) at the very least, it's a god conversation starter

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: Summer School abroad during 1L summer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:57:43 AM »
1)  From the conversations I've had, all sorts of people go.  I know a guy who was top of his 1L class, decided to go study in England for the summer instead of taking a job.  When he comes back, he still has OCIs lined up, and he'll still be the #1 ranked guy.  Plus, many overseas study programs have internship elements, so you can still get some "work" in.  I'm planning on going to Scotland for 3 weeks, and then 3 weeks in London next summer.  With sports in college I never had a chance to go abroad.
2)  Anything positive that makes you stand out from the pack is always good from a job perspective.
3)  Doing things that you are interested in doing will make you happier in the long run than trying to fit into the mold of what you think a law student should do.