Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: basic questions/advice about OCI  (Read 726 times)

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
basic questions/advice about OCI
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »
so i just got all my grades and am trying to research what firms i want to bid on in the upcoming OCI bidding process.  while we can't view the firms until tuesday, the CDO website has a list of firms that came last year and i want to start doing my research. anyway, im just confused about while we can "research" the law firm, how do we know what their hiring criteria is? as in "do i have to be in top 5%/10%/25%" etc etc.  I go to a decent school (top 20) and since we only get a limited number of bids, how do i know what firms i have a shot at? my GPA was good (top quarter) but i dont want to waste my time if the firm wont bother with anyone not in the top 10%

so basically..how do i know what type of GPAs the firms are looking for? or should i just assume its all competitive and they all want the top 10%?

GA-fan

Re: basic questions/advice about OCI
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 09:12:26 PM »
Apply to every thingle firm you would find acceptable to work at. Cancel interviews later if it's too many.

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 09:25:32 PM »
Just wait until you can check the firms out in Symplicity (or whatever your school uses). They will list their requirements there. Some schools also have handouts that list the firms and the rankings of the people that got callbacks/offers in the past but it sounds like yours doesn't do that.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 09:52:28 PM »
ahhh thanks for the advice..yeah i probably shouldnt even worry about it till i can view the firm list themselves..im just pretty anxious about everything and really really hoping to land a good summer osition

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »
if you're top 1/4 at a top 20 school you will get a good job. the market is very god right now; people have been doing deals like crazy. that said, don't have your heart set on cravath or anything. talk to 3Ls at your school to get a feel for where they wound up; perhaps aim slightly higher b/c of the present market conditions.

Suzieq830

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 04:06:30 PM »
thanks for the advice

also, my CDO says its acceptable to send individual resume/cover letters to firms you are interested in working for outside of OCI. is that acceptable or should i just rely on OCI if i want to work at a firm?

sorry if i should ignorant, i dont know much about tihs

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 04:25:01 PM »
thanks for the advice

also, my CDO says its acceptable to send individual resume/cover letters to firms you are interested in working for outside of OCI. is that acceptable or should i just rely on OCI if i want to work at a firm?

sorry if i should ignorant, i dont know much about tihs

Generally only around 10-15% of students get jobs through OCI. Listen to the CDO.