Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Come on JD! We're going to Europe...  (Read 399 times)

roquentin

• View Profile
    • Email
Come on JD! We're going to Europe...
« on: June 17, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
What job opportunities exist for ls grads who want to live in Europe? How does one angle in that diretion (summer internships w/ the EU, etc.)? How well would one need to know another language?

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Come on JD! We're going to Europe...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
if you look for internships at EU institutions you will probably need to know at least one more different language (one of the EU ones)..

you can not practice in Europe with a U.S. JD (maybe you can in some circumstances in UK but surely not in the rest of the EU)
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

roquentin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »
so, even US firms w/ offices in europe would require an LLM (or something of the sort) in order to work in one of those locations?

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 10:57:05 AM »
you most certainly can work in overseas offices of us firms w/a jd. lots of firms have european offices that do cross-border transactions, international arbitration, help foreign co's access the us capital markets (i.e., us securities lawyers), etc. personally, i summered in london and had an offer to return, but i turned it down. honestly, i think the market is pretty good for us lawyers who want to work in london. i don't think it would be that tough if you really wanted to do it, especially if you went to a top school.