Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do large firms ask what classes you are taking?  (Read 848 times)

wardwilliams

Do large firms ask what classes you are taking?
« on: June 16, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »
For people that interviewed with large firms for a 2L SA position, did they ask you what classes you are currently taking (during your 2L fall semester)? If so, did all, most, or just a couple?  I am thinking about substituting a much easier class for one that I have currently scheduled; just by the name of the course, an employer would know that it is easier, that is why I am wondering if they asked you.

Thanks.

Lucero

• View Profile
Re: Do large firms ask what classes you are taking?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:21:01 AM »
Most firms asked, I don't think that any actually cared. Its just a conversation starter. Take the class that you want to take, it won't make a difference one way or another in an interview. Your grades and personality are what count.

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:15:41 AM »
Most firms asked, I don't think that any actually cared. Its just a conversation starter. Take the class that you want to take, it won't make a difference one way or another in an interview. Your grades and personality are what count.

So an A in Antitrust is = to an A in a "negotiation" course? In terms of weight an interviewer would place on such achievement?

Lucero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »
Obviously I'm not interviewing law students, so take this with a grain of salt, but from my personal experience the firms use GPA as a proxy for drive, hard work, and legal aptitude - if its above their stated threshhold, they aren't going to break it down by looking at individual classes. As far as the Antitrust vs. Negotiation comparison, the practical skills learned in a negotiating class likely trump the substantive difficulty of Antitrust, which lacks practical applicability. Is Antitrust more difficult and an A in that class more impressive? Probably. Does it really matter in an interview? No. Both As help your GPA to the same extent, and firms aren't likely to delve past your cumulative GPA beyond maybe a cursory glance.

GA-fan

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 04:11:46 PM »
Also, not sure about your school, but all of the electives at mine are curved. That means that unless you can peg the class comprised of the entire bottom quartile from the rankings, the A is just as hard to get in ANY class. Maybe easier in a difficult class where the material is hard and most people either don't grasp the material or give up and take the B.

wardwilliams

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
Also, not sure about your school, but all of the electives at mine are curved. That means that unless you can peg the class comprised of the entire bottom quartile from the rankings, the A is just as hard to get in ANY class. Maybe easier in a difficult class where the material is hard and most people either don't grasp the material or give up and take the B.

The "easier" class I was thinking about taking is definitely easier. Not only is the material easy but last semester the AVERAGE grade was a 3.95 out of 4.00 with 76 people in the class.  Same numbers for the past 4 years as well. Our electives are not curved, needless to say.

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »
sometimes they ask, but its just to make conversation. that said, if you're interviewing w/big nyc corporate firms, it can't hurt to tell them you're taking sec reg, corps, etc., just to show an interest in corporate work.

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 11:05:37 AM »

The "easier" class I was thinking about taking is definitely easier. Not only is the material easy but last semester the AVERAGE grade was a 3.95 out of 4.00 with 76 people in the class.  Same numbers for the past 4 years as well. Our electives are not curved, needless to say.

take that class. get the A. nobody will care whether its easy or not. you want a good gpa, not a rigorous course load.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 07:17:37 AM »

So an A in Antitrust is = to an A in a "negotiation" course? In terms of weight an interviewer would place on such achievement?

If you're interviewing with a firm that does has a strong anti-trust practice, and you really want to be in that practice group - and you tell the interviewer that - an A in negotiations is not the same as an A in anti-trust.

But unless you are trying to sell yourself for a specific practice group, an A is likely the same no matter which course its in.