Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To Transfer Or Not To Transfer?  (Read 746 times)

bobbykurva

• View Profile
To Transfer Or Not To Transfer?
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:07:18 PM »
Here's the situation. I wasn't smart enough to do well on the LSAT, however I nailed my 1L year at a T4 finishing 2nd in the class. The T4 is across the boarder from the state I reside in and wish to practice in post graduation, but is generally well received in my state. I'll most likely be on law review, etc.

I'm considering transferring to a T1 within my state of residence. In transferring, I would lose my class standing and all other benefits associated w/ that class standing - however I'll have the benefit of attending a T1 in the state I wish to practice in.

I anticipate receiving merit based scholarships at my current school, and should I transfer I will be paying resident tuition rates - so as far as tuition it will most likely be a wash whether I stay or go.

As far as in what capacity I wish to practice (local biglaw vs. med/small law); I'm not yet sure.

In researching local biglaw firms, I've observed that many associates come from both the local T1 and the T4 I currently attend, however almost all of the associate coming from the T4 were top of the class, etc.

I guess this is a moot point - however what would others do in this situation?

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: To Transfer Or Not To Transfer?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 02:40:01 AM »
I was under the impression most schools have June 30th deadlines or so.

I'd absolutely transfer. Go to the T-1.  In the longrun, it'll pay off.

GA-fan

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:14:57 AM »
Transfer! The job differences at a T1 will be worth it, and since you've demonstrated you're good at the law school game, chances are good that you'll be well into the top 1/2 of the school you choose, with MUCH better job options. The fact that you're not sure you want to do make this an easy decision, IMHO. You'll never know what doors were slammed shut because of your current school if you choose to stay there, but the T1 WILL open a lot of doors.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 10:06:49 AM »
If you can, transfer.

If you can't transfer, get as much money as is humanly possible from your school.

WhiteyEMSR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:24:37 AM »
Congrats on doing so well your first year. I was in the same position as you. I did my first year at a t4, finished 2nd in my class and transfered to a t1. I struggled a bit with the decision considering I lost law review, moot court and a scholarship.

I am happy I transferred. All of the big shot "local" firms that I had dreamed of working for during my first year called me back for interviews, even though I was no longer in the same state as those firms. I turned down all of their call-backs for a job at a vault top 20, where I am summering now. Even though I was top of my class at the t4, I would not have had the chance to interview at this firm. Losing law review didn't seem to make much of a difference to employers, and now I will have a great school on my resume rather than one that provokes the question, "Oh, they have a law school?"

Again, congratulations. Either way, you're in a great position.