Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school relationships/love?  (Read 16426 times)

fulford10

• View Profile
    • Email
law school relationships/love?
« on: June 15, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »
I just got out of a three year relationship and wanted to know if law students, or even lawyers for that matter, have a hard time finding someone in law school or in the legal field. I could just be jaded due to my recent break-up, but with a law student's/lawyer's time constraints, how hard is it to find a a significant other?

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: law school relationships/love?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:42:45 AM »
I just got out of a three year relationship and wanted to know if law students, or even lawyers for that matter, have a hard time finding someone in law school or in the legal field. I could just be jaded due to my recent break-up, but with a law student's/lawyer's time constraints, how hard is it to find a a significant other?

I helped plan and wedding during my first year, and I was married during my second and soon to be third year.  You can date, and find someone.  Law school, if you are efficient, does not take all your time.

fulford10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:21:45 AM »
Even as a 2L? And if so, where? The reason I ask is because I think this time around I would be more compatiable with another law student (or grad student) who is understanding and wants something serious. Is volunteering at some place needing legal services sound like a good idea?

I helped plan and wedding during my first year, and I was married during my second and soon to be third year.  You can date, and find someone.  Law school, if you are efficient, does not take all your time.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
Well, I've never tried dating in law school since I've been married for 6 years, but when my husband and I got married, he was in medical school, which is at least as demanding as law school. I won't say it's easy, but it can be done. Your partner just needs to understand that there are times when school has to come first. But you also have to balance school and life.

I just finished my 1L year, and I managed to survive, even with a husband and a small child, by working really hard to be efficient with my time. I got to school about an hour before class started (not hard when my first class was generally at 10 or 11), studied through lunch, and then stayed 1-2 hours after class to study more. Then I'd pick up my son, go home, hang out with him and my husband, make dinner, etc. Then if needed, I'd read after my son went to sleep.

I think I had it easier than other classmates who were married or dating, because my husband understood exactly how much I had to study and was very supportive of me. We also had two engaged couples in my section, and they seemed to do well because they each understood what the other had to do. Also, built in study-group!

So in short, I think you can find and maintain a relationship in law school, but there are times when it will be hard. Your partner will need to have some understanding of the amount of work you need to do and be able to fade a bit into the background during exam time without feeling resentful about it.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:54:29 AM »
Even as a 2L? And if so, where? The reason I ask is because I think this time around I would be more compatiable with another law student (or grad student) who is understanding and wants something serious. Is volunteering at some place needing legal services sound like a good idea?

You will meet people in law school.  My wife is very understanding, even when we were planning our wedding.  I would have to drive down to Virginia Beach every few weekends, and I was living in Pennsylvania and her in DC.  We managed.  She moved, so we are both in PA.  She is working, and I am going to school.  She knows when to let me study.  I also am very efficient.  I get my work down when she is not around.  She also leaves for a weekend during finals, just so she isn't a distraction.  She goes to visit her friends or parents.  It has worked out great.  My GPA has actually gone up since I got married.  If you have an understanding spouse or significant other, it makes all teh difference in the world.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 11:55:44 AM »
I wouldn't recommend dating someone in your year... I am coming back to school after being in the workforce for *ahem* years, and I've seen some disaterous office romances (even within larger organzations) really disrupt everyone's lives-- not just the couple.

I am sure there are some lovely and mature people in grad school and law school for you to date, but tread with caution. There's a lot of gossip and the rumor mill within law programs, and a lot of people who are just in it to hook up.

My advice? Go about your life, get involved in some non-law related activities as well as the school stuff and live your life. You'll meet your fair share of frogs and princes.
Vanderbilt 2010

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 12:02:27 PM »
This is poster is right in many ways.  The rumor mill can be a female dog in law school.  Especially when you're a 1L, people are more on edge and tend to project negative emotions on others.  Plus if it goes sour, you have to see that person every class if they are in your section.

I met my girlfriend at the end of 1L and she is a law student.  Its nice to share that.  Through my SA jobs after both 1L and 2L I've realized that alot of lawyers are married to other lawyers.  I think they way lawyers think about problems is strange to many and sharing that makes the relationship smoother.

It also may depend on the type of school.  My first year I went to a law school attached to a small private school (3k students in the whole university).  The law school was on the edge of campus and law students had a very small community.  I transferred to one of the largest universities in the country and it seems that the law school community is not as close knit.  My new school' rumor mill is substantially less pervasive.

I wouldn't recommend dating someone in your year... I am coming back to school after being in the workforce for *ahem* years, and I've seen some disaterous office romances (even within larger organzations) really disrupt everyone's lives-- not just the couple.

I am sure there are some lovely and mature people in grad school and law school for you to date, but tread with caution. There's a lot of gossip and the rumor mill within law programs, and a lot of people who are just in it to hook up.

My advice? Go about your life, get involved in some non-law related activities as well as the school stuff and live your life. You'll meet your fair share of frogs and princes.

fulford10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 02:14:15 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice...I just get a little worried about relationships and meeting others since I'm 25 and will probably work a ton of hours at a firm, leaving little time to meet people once law school is over.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 03:30:06 PM »
I have the same concerns... and I am much closer to 30 and about to start 1L! :)
Vanderbilt 2010

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 08:35:14 AM »
Thanks to all for the advice...I just get a little worried about relationships and meeting others since I'm 25 and will probably work a ton of hours at a firm, leaving little time to meet people once law school is over.

Don't panic about it- you're only 25! I have to second not dating anyone in your year, or in law school at all for that matter. Get involved in other things in your city or meet people in other programs. Most people I know are with non-law students and are happy to have a different perspective to go home to everyday. I know the last thing I want to do when I get home from class is keep talking about the law (okay I try not to talk about it at all when I am not in class).