Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school relationships/love?  (Read 16744 times)

fulford10

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: law school relationships/love?
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 10:04:50 AM »
Yea, you're right. It's just that natural jaded feeling after a break-up. I have to find some non-law related activities to get involved with to meet new people (any advice is welcomed). Thanks again.

Thanks to all for the advice...I just get a little worried about relationships and meeting others since I'm 25 and will probably work a ton of hours at a firm, leaving little time to meet people once law school is over.

I wouldn't recommend dating someone in your year... I am coming back to school after being in the workforce for *ahem* years, and I've seen some disaterous office romances (even within larger organzations) really disrupt everyone's lives-- not just the couple.

I am sure there are some lovely and mature people in grad school and law school for you to date, but tread with caution. There's a lot of gossip and the rumor mill within law programs, and a lot of people who are just in it to hook up.

My advice? Go about your life, get involved in some non-law related activities as well as the school stuff and live your life. You'll meet your fair share of frogs and princes.

Don't panic about it- you're only 25! I have to second not dating anyone in your year, or in law school at all for that matter. Get involved in other things in your city or meet people in other programs. Most people I know are with non-law students and are happy to have a different perspective to go home to everyday. I know the last thing I want to do when I get home from class is keep talking about the law (okay I try not to talk about it at all when I am not in class).

Lady in Red

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 09:20:47 PM »

I just got out of a three year relationship and wanted to know if law students, or even lawyers for that matter, have a hard time finding someone in law school or in the legal field. I could just be jaded due to my recent break-up, but with a law student's/lawyer's time constraints, how hard is it to find a a significant other?

I helped plan and wedding during my first year, and I was married during my second and soon to be third year. You can date, and find someone. Law school, if you are efficient, does not take all your time. You will meet people in law school. My wife is very understanding, even when we were planning our wedding. I would have to drive down to Virginia Beach every few weekends, and I was living in Pennsylvania and her in DC. We managed. She moved, so we are both in PA. She is working, and I am going to school. She knows when to let me study. I also am very efficient. I get my work down when she is not around. She also leaves for a weekend during finals, just so she isn't a distraction. She goes to visit her friends or parents. It has worked out great. My GPA has actually gone up since I got married. If you have an understanding spouse or significant other, it makes all the difference in the world.

I completely agree! Law students do not understand the importance of spending time with their loved ones, they get caught up in studying and the whole law school thing forgetting that they have parents, brothers and sisters to turn to whenever they are in difficulty. And even if they are not in difficulty, they have an obligation towards their parents to visit from time to time -- unless, of course, you're already thinking like a lawyer, that is how much money you'll spend for gas to go and meet them ... well, who said you're wrong, oil prices have gone up!

D a n a

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 03:05:51 AM »

I helped plan and wedding during my first year, and I was married during my second and soon to be third year. You can date, and find someone. Law school, if you are efficient, does not take all your time. You will meet people in law school. My wife is very understanding, even when we were planning our wedding. I would have to drive down to Virginia Beach every few weekends, and I was living in Pennsylvania and her in DC. We managed. She moved, so we are both in PA. She is working, and I am going to school. She knows when to let me study. I also am very efficient. I get my work down when she is not around. She also leaves for a weekend during finals, just so she isn't a distraction. She goes to visit her friends or parents. It has worked out great. My GPA has actually gone up since I got married. If you have an understanding spouse or significant other, it makes all the difference in the world.

I completely agree! Law students do not understand the importance of spending time with their loved ones, they get caught up in studying and the whole law school thing forgetting that they have parents, brothers and sisters to turn to whenever they are in difficulty. And even if they are not in difficulty, they have an obligation towards their parents to visit from time to time -- unless, of course, you're already thinking like a lawyer, that is how much money you'll spend for gas to go and meet them ... well, who said you're wrong, oil prices have gone up!

Lady in Red, is your avatar Cindy Lauper? I absolutely love her song "I Drove All Night"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjOs-_A2Ls

Thanks for bringing back old memories!

bon gre mal gre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »

I completely agree! Law students do not understand the importance of spending time with their loved ones, they get caught up in studying and the whole law school thing forgetting that they have parents, brothers and sisters to turn to whenever they are in difficulty. And even if they are not in difficulty, they have an obligation towards their parents to visit from time to time -- unless, of course, you're already thinking like a lawyer, that is how much money you'll spend for gas to go and meet them ... well, who said you're wrong, gas prices have gone up!

Couldn't agree more Lady!

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 02:14:49 PM »
I'd recommend not dating someone in your area of law during law school, unless both of you are completely not competitive.  I've seen couples get OCI's for the same job, and one land the gig and the other wind up scrounging for a job come spring.

Not pretty, and it sure didn't seem to help their relationship any.

By contrast, there is a couple in my group of friends where the gal is interested only in criminal law and the guy only in business law.  No competition between the two and they seem to get along just great.

labeta

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »

It's not a matter of gas prices having gone up, LadyInRed, when you are physically thousands of miles away you begin to distance from them emotionally as well... I mean, you can not expect to remain "close enough" to someone when you only see them every 6 months or so..

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »

Lady in Red, is your avatar Cindy Lauper? I absolutely love her song "I Drove All Night"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bR46ibN7Rw&feature=related

It's not a matter of gas prices having gone up, LadyInRed, when you are physically thousands of miles away you begin to distance from them emotionally as well... I mean, you can not expect to remain "close enough" to someone when you only see them every 6 months or so..

Then what are you people waiting for? Do what you think it's the right thing to do, there's no need to feel guilty about it!

mother in law

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »

It's not a matter of gas prices having gone up [...]

Well, labeta, I think it IS a matter of gas prices having gone up!
I couldn't find the remote control to the remote control.

smittypits

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »
Why don't you just play it by ear? If you go into law school 100% determined to meet someone and start dating them, you're gonna jump right after the first girl that looks your way in Torts class. Just take it slow, meet a bunch of people, go to the Bar Association happy hours and the law school dances, and see if anyone tickles your fancy. Law School has obvious differences from undergrad, but meeting women is meeting women, and if you overanalyze it, or go in with expectations, you're only gonna be disappointed or surprised.

Imactuallya2Lnow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 11:14:07 AM »
Hey, I don't have much to say on the subject other than...I know of at least 3 couples that met at my law school that are getting married/have gotten married.  So I guess it works for some, not for others.  Pretty much like dating people in college did.