Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: REAPPLYING AS A 1L AFTER COMPLETING A YEAR IN LAW SCHOOL  (Read 1233 times)

Confused1323

• View Profile
REAPPLYING AS A 1L AFTER COMPLETING A YEAR IN LAW SCHOOL
« on: June 13, 2007, 08:03:34 PM »
I have just finished my first year in law school at a low tier 4 law school (which I was not happy at all attending).  I did not do well my first year.  I have recently found out I have a learning disability and should have both been given more time on the LSAT's as well as accomodations during the school year.  My question is can I reapply to law school as a 1L after already completing a year as a 1L?  I am willing to forfeit the year of school as well as the money spent for the opportunity to re-take the LSAT's (if possible) and to re-apply to law school (if possible).  I have good UG grades and a great background, and am sure I can score near 165 - 170 if I took the LSAT's over as time was my problem on the LSAT which I would be given more now due to my disability.  Thanks.

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: REAPPLYING AS A 1L AFTER COMPLETING A YEAR IN LAW SCHOOL
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »
I don't mean to downplay your learning disability & I really hope you can reapply but isn't time the biggest problem for most people on the LSAT? 

Again, I really hope you find the answers to your questions and good luck! :)
3L @ University of Denver

nofrills

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »
I have just finished my first year in law school at a low tier 4 law school (which I was not happy at all attending).  I did not do well my first year.  I have recently found out I have a learning disability and should have both been given more time on the LSAT's as well as accomodations during the school year.  My question is can I reapply to law school as a 1L after already completing a year as a 1L?  I am willing to forfeit the year of school as well as the money spent for the opportunity to re-take the LSAT's (if possible) and to re-apply to law school (if possible).  I have good UG grades and a great background, and am sure I can score near 165 - 170 if I took the LSAT's over as time was my problem on the LSAT which I would be given more now due to my disability.  Thanks.

man, it seems like uve got money and time to waste. just keep going

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:36:44 PM »
Yes, you can drop out and start over again, but why would you want to?  Every school you apply to you will have to disclose that you have already taken a year of courses at another school.  This may or may not affect your chances of acceptance.

I know a guy who had the extra time during the LSAT and still ended up at a T4 school, obviously extra time did not magically raise his score 20 points. 

Having a learning disability may not be the reason why you did poorly.  Did you talk to professors after the first semester to find out how you can write better exams?  Did you contact your school's academic assistance program to see if you could get some tutoring?  Did you talk with second year students to find ways to improve your study habits?  Did you take an exam prep course? 

Rather than waste more time repeating first year, take a summer school course and see if you get better grades when you have more time during the exam.  If you do better, then you should drastically improve your grades over the next year.  With your grades high enough, you should be able to transfer to another school.  If you transfer, you may have to take an extra semester or year of classes, but retaking the LSAT and first year would set you back two years. 
3.7ish, 170+