Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So why are you interested in law?  (Read 7890 times)

button680

• View Profile
    • Email
So why are you interested in law?
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:16:28 PM »
Hi,

I am doing a project for my firm about why young people are drawn to the legal profession. 

Obviously information gleaned from this board will be considered anecdotal rather than empirically sound. Any honest answer is appreciated, such as money, law and order marathons, parental pressure, i realized I am great at the LSAT, i want to give back to the legal community, burning desire to prevent the state from crushing the individual. Whatevs.

I'm also interested in anyone who wants to offer insight into why law as opposed to business.

Thanks to anyone who adds their two cents.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So why are you interested in law?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:16:05 PM »
Are you Australian?

landrover06

• View Profile
Re: So why are you interested in law?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 06:25:33 AM »
I started out as a software engineer.  In college I wanted to build mathematical models for a living.  For instance, I wanted to develop airplanes using mathematical models or solve traffic congestion by modeling traffic patterns mathematically.  I always wanted to be on the cutting edge, working strictly with emerging technologies.  I needed these kinds of challenges, because I wanted to be one of few rather than one of many.  I spent almost 20 years developing software to process telecommunication and voice signals.  I hated it, mainly because the engineers that I worked with everyday were some of the most narrow-minded and uninteresting people I had ever encountered.  They joked a lot, but they weren't funny.  They told stories they thought were interesting, but they were anything but.  The work was dry and mechanical.  I was never given work challenging enough to hold my interest.  Being one of the few minorities in the field, my credentials were continually questioned and met with skepticism.  I was often penalized for unknown reasons and tasked deceptively.  It was quite a subversive environment to devote 9-10/day to.  I had to break out.

I was sued after selling a home by the buyer of the house.  He claimed I didn't fully disclose the condition of the roof.  I hired a lawyer, fought 5 years, paid $100K for my defense, prevailed in a counter-complaint as well as a cross-complaint against my real estate agent.  A transformation occurred during the 5 years.  I realized that I found the challenges of law, the solving of legal problems, far more interesting than developing software with a bunch of geeks.  I found the 12 lawyers that I consulted with to be far more educated than I was, far more professional, far more in control of their time, far more respected, and much better paid.  They were true professionals.  As a software engineer, I was simply a "blue-collar" professional and this didn't fit right.  I needed to feel educated, to be in a position to solve problems that were more meaningful and more worthy of my time and of me.  Software engineering could never accomplish this for me.  But becoming a lawyer and being a lawyer could.  So, I take great pride in becoming educated as a man who is legally-trained.  This is the ultimate intrinsic reward for me and I love it.  To be in a position as a highly-educated lawyer, to help solve some complex legal problems is a goal worthy of me.  It is a profession that will grow with me as I grow older.