Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have all my 1L grades. Rate my job prospects.  (Read 2842 times)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: Have all my 1L grades. Rate my job prospects.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
Don't quote me on this, but you should be in the top 10 or 20%, which means you'll have a pretty good shot.  Just remember to sign up for a lot of OCI interviews, but practice good OCI etiqutte: research firms first so you know there's a chance you want to work there, since you'll get pretty much any interview you want, and you don't want to take spots when you really don't want to work for the firm.

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
My grades are very similar to butters (fell just outside of the top 20%), except I am at a T30-40.  Minnesota firms, for the most part, don't conduct OCIs at my school, but Minneapolis is at the top of the list for where I want to end up after graduation (I'm from MN). 

Anyone have any thoughts on my probable success in even getting interviews by sending my resume to recruiters at Minneapolis firms?
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »
Why does your Civ Pro II grade suck so much?

What is your class rank? Are you on Moot Court/Mock Trial? Are you on a Law Journal/Law Review?

Do you have a third eyeball in the middle of your head? Any previous work experience or are you another straight from college to law school person? What makes you stand out?

Your grades look decent, but we can't really evaluate your chances until you give us the other information.

I'd say if you go to a top 20, then someone should give you a job. Cravath - no. But someone will.

Contracts: A-

Con Law I: A-

Torts: A-

Civ Pro I: B+

Property: B+

Con Law II: B+

Civ Pro II: B

Crim Law: B-

Making my cumulative GPA a 3.358 at a T20 (Minnesota), with a forced 1L curve between 3.0 and 3.3.

Taking one summer class, last summer, the prof gave out quite a few As.

My school does not rank, just provides cut-offs for quartiles.

Thoughts on upcoming OCI?

osakakid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 06:39:12 PM »

I got a 3.51, I should be right around the cutoff for the first quartile.  There is a list of the quartile cutoffs for each year on the the U of M law website.  Some years I would be above, some below.  I think you will probably shake out as being somewhere in the second quartile.  I fear that law school has made me a grade-grubber.  I wish I could return to undergrad, when I went two years without checking my grades.  It's strange how one A or B seems to affect one's life so much.  Perhaps I am over-blowing the importance of grades, but they do have in impact in what happens with my life after school.  Getting into BIGLAW will give me the freedom to pay off my loans, help put my sisters through college, and give my dad some decent health insurance.  I am just as nervous as anyone else on this board about getting a good job.  Good luck in the fall Buttters.