Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is 2L really easier?  (Read 2874 times)

i2ad10head

• View Profile
Is 2L really easier?
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »
I was wondering what anyone thinks about taking 5 courses in the fall of my second year.  I really screwed up in my second semester and am in desperate need of raising my gpa.  Would it be wise to take 4 classes instead of 5?  I might be working too. But unlike my second semester, I will be reading and outlining this time around to improve GPA.

starter

• View Profile
Re: Is 2L really easier?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »
If you're actually planning on doing all of the assignments and outlining like you are in 1L all over again, 2L is not any easier.  In fact, in terms of sheer reading load it might be more than 1L.  First semester of 2L I took tax, corporations, evidence and criminal procedure.  That semester was by far harder than 1L.  If you are looking to work part time to go along with 5 classes, it's going to be very hard and stressful. 

i2ad10head

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:04:34 PM »
Well I will be taking Con Law, Evidence, Tax, and dispute resolution, the 5th, which I am still comtemplating is a 2 unit writing class--which might be wise for me to hold off til the spring since I need to maintain a certain gpa for the fall to avoid being dropped.  Any other takers?

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:59:54 PM »
If you are in danger of being kicked out, definitely don't load up on courses. Also, I don't know about the others, but Evidence is a difficult course. You might want to spread the more difficult courses out rather than taking them all in one semester or one  year, especially if you're at risk of getting kicked out.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:49:52 PM »
Its easier only in that you already know how to study law.  By far I think 2L is more work, but less hard, if that makes sense.  Many people have full load, part-time job, law review, other activities, plus you have 2L summer job search.  This can make for a very rough year.  In addition, the amount of reading is greater.  My fall of 2L I took Tax, Arbitration, Pro Rep, Sales (UCC Art. 2), Con. Law of Religion and Law review.  This past semester I was in Evidence, Corporations, Remedies, Ag. Law and Trust and Estates plus law review.  This can be very daunting, and when you are trying to pull up your GPA, it could be even harder.  Good luck to you.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
The consensus seems to be that the classes may be more difficult, and there may be more reading, but TIME is the key ingredient in the difficulty of 2L. There are many things to get done and you are very busy.

LawThug

• View Profile
    • LawThug
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:40:41 PM »
I was wondering what anyone thinks about taking 5 courses in the fall of my second year.  I really screwed up in my second semester and am in desperate need of raising my gpa.  Would it be wise to take 4 classes instead of 5?  I might be working too. But unlike my second semester, I will be reading and outlining this time around to improve GPA.

I think 2L is alot easier because now you know how the finals are and what method of studying works best for you.
Click Here for apparel and more for lawyers and law students.

i2ad10head

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 05:54:30 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate all the helpful comments.  I am the guy who studied first semester, read every case assigned, and thoroughly outlined for all my classes.  In the end of my first semester, i came out with a B+ average on a 2.8 curve.  This past semester, I didn't read (passed when I was called on), used other people's outlines and missed a lot of classes. Turns out I ended up with a 2.4, which has severely disappointed me.  In my worst grade, to my recklessness, I turned in a rough draft of my memo into my writing professor. (talked to dean, professor, no one wanted to help).  That alone brought my gpa down substantially.  Anyways, I have a great job and don't want to lose it, I have set aside two days of the week to attend my job in the fall.  From the responses on this board, I think I should only stick to 4 courses for 12 units, then accelerate my units in spring and summer of next year, in order to lessen my load for 3rd yr.  Please advice otherwise if anyone thinks what i am doing is wrong, thanks, much is appreciated!

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:59:27 PM »
Just keep after it. I think the biggest mistake people make is letting past performance dictate their future and just giving up.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 07:59:57 AM »
If you want to substantially raise your GPA, you have to take a lot of courses.  At least at my school, 1Ls take more hours than 2 or 3Ls.  Thus if you're taking 12 credits every semester, and you're getting all As, it helps, but not as much.  If you want to avoid being kicked out, you take less credits.  Thus if you do bad, it will lower your GPA less.