Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA to....?  (Read 2165 times)

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
UVA to....?
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:01:04 AM »
Well, after a delightful first year, with many ups and downs, it looks like I'm going to wind up just inside the top 10% at UVA (assuming a final grade is not a disaster). Hence my question: would it be at all worthwhile to try to move into one of the top 5 schools? And for that matter, is it even possible? The yahoo group doesn't have much info for my situation.

I have a strong interest in teaching one day... and since UVA only takes the top 8% or so onto law review, and the write-on is no guarentee, I feel like I might have a better shot at one of those schools.

Thoughts?

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: UVA to....?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »
Well, after a delightful first year, with many ups and downs, it looks like I'm going to wind up just inside the top 10% at UVA (assuming a final grade is not a disaster). Hence my question: would it be at all worthwhile to try to move into one of the top 5 schools? And for that matter, is it even possible? The yahoo group doesn't have much info for my situation.

I have a strong interest in teaching one day... and since UVA only takes the top 8% or so onto law review, and the write-on is no guarentee, I feel like I might have a better shot at one of those schools.

Thoughts?

Go away your annoying prick.  You go to UVa, you are in the Top 10% -- you are set.  Stop bragging.

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:04:53 PM »

Thoughts?

Go away your annoying prick.  You go to UVa, you are in the Top 10% -- you are set.  Stop bragging.

Right--because I clearly came onto an anonymous message board to brag to complete strangers  ::)

If you bothered to look at my post history, you'll note that my posts have mostly been spent trying to encourage people: my first (and only, for a month) grade in school was a B, below the curve. Just because you start near the bottom doesn't mean you'll stay that way...

I'm sorry that merely asking a question, with a minimum amount of details, in a forum designed for said question, so deeply offends your sensibilities.

osakakid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
I know someone who had about your same class rank at WUSTL and tranferred to Chicago.  If you applied to all of the top 5 schools I bet someone would accept you.  Sending out transfer applications can't hurt.  You can always withdraw if you make the law review at UVA.  What is the harm in trying?

challandler

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »
Law review is important if you want to teach.  Most schools won't have a law review comp. for transfers until after you enroll.  This means that you'd be taking a big gamble leaving UVA if you did make law review there.  You already missed Harvard's law review competition, unfortunately, so a transfer there is unwise unless you don't make review at UVA.  Yale and Stanford are crapshoots for admission becuase the class is so small, which makes Chicago, Columbia, and NYU are your best bets.  If you make law review at any of the three, you will be better off for teaching than making law review at UVA.  That said, I think that the academic differences between schools is large enough that you may be jeopardizing your grades in doing so.  If you like living in C-Ville and make review, stay at UVA.  If you don't like living in C-Ville (or going to UVA generally) and/or you don't make review at UVA, then head to the highest of CCN that takes you (unless Yale or Stanford bites).

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 10:58:17 PM »
Law review is important if you want to teach.  Most schools won't have a law review comp. for transfers until after you enroll.  This means that you'd be taking a big gamble leaving UVA if you did make law review there.  You already missed Harvard's law review competition, unfortunately, so a transfer there is unwise unless you don't make review at UVA.  Yale and Stanford are crapshoots for admission becuase the class is so small, which makes Chicago, Columbia, and NYU are your best bets.  If you make law review at any of the three, you will be better off for teaching than making law review at UVA.  That said, I think that the academic differences between schools is large enough that you may be jeopardizing your grades in doing so.  If you like living in C-Ville and make review, stay at UVA.  If you don't like living in C-Ville (or going to UVA generally) and/or you don't make review at UVA, then head to the highest of CCN that takes you (unless Yale or Stanford bites).

You really wouldn't tell the OP to take NYU over Chicago or Columbia for teaching would you?

challandler

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 08:34:16 AM »

You really wouldn't tell the OP to take NYU over Chicago or Columbia for teaching would you?

Good point.  By "highest of CCN" I didn't intend to reference the US News rankings (in fact, I wasn't even aware that NYU had taken the 4th spot from Columbia until this post; I had to go look it up).  I meant to instruct the OP to go the school with the best placement in legal hiring.  That would be Chicago, then Columbia, then NYU.  In the last three years, Chicago has placed 23 alumni into entry-level teaching positions.  That's about 3.8% of the class size each year that go into legal teaching.  Columbia has produced 34 new academics (about 3.0% of the class each year), and NYU has produced 32 (about 2.4%).  Virginia has produced just under 2.0%, but that number may be misleading as UVa had twice as many new teachers hired this year than in each of the previous years.  I think with a longer time series, the number would be closer to 1.5%. 

Thanks for the clarification, Buddy Holly. 

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »

Good point.  By "highest of CCN" I didn't intend to reference the US News rankings (in fact, I wasn't even aware that NYU had taken the 4th spot from Columbia until this post; I had to go look it up).  I meant to instruct the OP to go the school with the best placement in legal hiring.  That would be Chicago, then Columbia, then NYU.  In the last three years, Chicago has placed 23 alumni into entry-level teaching positions.  That's about 3.8% of the class size each year that go into legal teaching.  Columbia has produced 34 new academics (about 3.0% of the class each year), and NYU has produced 32 (about 2.4%).  Virginia has produced just under 2.0%, but that number may be misleading as UVa had twice as many new teachers hired this year than in each of the previous years.  I think with a longer time series, the number would be closer to 1.5%. 

Thanks for the clarification, Buddy Holly. 

No problem. Yeah, NYU is the new #4, Columbia the new #5 (it's NYC's cheap option!), and Penn the new #6. US News can be pretty hilarious, sometimes, but you have to take it all with a grain of salt.

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 11:16:26 AM »

disagree. a transfer to harvard is almost never unwise, law review be damned. that said, it's prob best to stay at uva, esp if you make law review b/c (a) if you make lr, you can prob publish a note, (b) you get to keep your great grades and if you work hard can get magna/coif, and (c) it will probably be easier to make nice w/a prof or two, and having a prof in your corner can be an invaluable resource when you're looking for a teaching gig.

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the constructive thoughts everyone!

I actually talked with some professors and they gave the same advice. Absent an in at Yale, they agreed that I'd be crazy to leave UVA if indeed I make the LR cut-off... Though that's just my concern, because unless the GPAs are low this year, I'll probably miss it by a spot or two. There's always the chance that the write-on will come through for me, but that's a crapshot. I do have strong ties with many professors here at UVA, and they all told me having connections was worth its weight in gold in terms of teaching.

My attitude at this point is that I'm going to apply just to see, and will make a final decision once I have more info in late July (namely, where I've been accepted/turned down to transfer, and whether I've made LR).

Thanks again.