Law School Discussion

Law Review Case Note Competition Blunder--Deal Breaker?

Law Review Case Note Competition Blunder--Deal Breaker?
« on: June 09, 2007, 05:57:37 PM »
Hi all.  I recently completed and turned in my casenote.  I worked very hard on it, and made sure it was gramatically sound, moderately well-written, and consistent with the format requirements (i.e. characters per line, lines per page, font, etc...).  My school's casenote competition requires that we hand in 8 copies of our casenotes; each copy stapled to a manilla folder.  The manilla folders must be labeled with our student identification number, and the citation of the case.  This is where I screwed up.  Instead of writing the case's citation on each folder, I wrote the full name of the case.  Will this destroy my chances to make law review?  Any comments will be very much appreciated.  Thank you. 

Re: Law Review Case Note Competition Blunder--Deal Breaker?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 09:49:35 PM »
Hi all.  I recently completed and turned in my casenote.  I worked very hard on it, and made sure it was gramatically sound, moderately well-written, and consistent with the format requirements (i.e. characters per line, lines per page, font, etc...).  My school's casenote competition requires that we hand in 8 copies of our casenotes; each copy stapled to a manilla folder.  The manilla folders must be labeled with our student identification number, and the citation of the case.  This is where I screwed up.  Instead of writing the case's citation on each folder, I wrote the full name of the case.  Will this destroy my chances to make law review?  Any comments will be very much appreciated.  Thank you. 

Will that error in and of itself ruin your chances for Law Review?  Absolutely not.  However, it may cause you to lose some points for failure to observe all of the instructions. 

The only mistake I can see that will automatically ruin your chances is if you went over the page limit; Law Reviews are more strict about that than any of the other errors. 

Besides, EVERYONE is going to make at least ONE mistake in the competition - they are not expecting perfect papers.  They are basically looking to see if you can follow most of the formatting instructions and whether you're capable of critical writing.  In other words:  don't worry excessively over this. 

Just be proud that you stuck it through to the very end, for more people quit the competition than you may think, let alone finishing a paper with, at best, a few errors in it.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 05:42:47 AM »
It really depends on the school. Keep in mind that many people who intend to do the competition don't even finish so merely completing the competition and submitting something might put you in a good position to get onto a journal. Chances are they probably give everyone points for good things they do and take off for mistakes, so you'll get taken off for that mistake but will probably get a lot of other points if you spent time to proofread and make sure your cites were correct. I've heard that my school doesn't even really care about the content of the comment. It's just seen as a vehicle to show how well you can do citations.

wardwilliams

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 08:40:09 AM »
My competition had a "10 characters per inch" requirement. what in the hell does that even mean? I had no idea so i just disregarded it.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it--just be proud that you completed it in the first place!

rugercaptain

• Shirley, Probie, & Sarah--gone to Rainbow Bridge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:05:39 PM »
My competition had a "10 characters per inch" requirement. what in the hell does that even mean? I had no idea so i just disregarded it.

From http://www.sunoasis.com/standards.html:

"A typical 8.5 inch by 11 inch page contains twenty-five lines of typing when using double spacing and a 12 point font. The 12 point font provides ten characters per inch, which when divided by the accepted line length of 60 characters or six inches, gives the reason for a six character "word". This is all to say that with an average ten word line, a page is estimated to have 250 words - if your margins are set at one inch. If your margins are set at 1.25 inches, then you have an estimated 225 words on a page. 1.5 inch margins end up equaling 200 words a page."

wardwilliams

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
Thanks

From http://www.sunoasis.com/standards.html:

"A typical 8.5 inch by 11 inch page contains twenty-five lines of typing when using double spacing and a 12 point font. The 12 point font provides ten characters per inch, which when divided by the accepted line length of 60 characters or six inches, gives the reason for a six character "word". This is all to say that with an average ten word line, a page is estimated to have 250 words - if your margins are set at one inch. If your margins are set at 1.25 inches, then you have an estimated 225 words on a page. 1.5 inch margins end up equaling 200 words a page."

Strong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 03:00:34 PM »
We were required to put our ID number at the top right of every page.

I made a header with the date, page number, and my Title, but forgot to add my ID #. I went in and hand wrote my number on the first page of each copy.

I've made my peace with it, can't be that big of a deal.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »
To the OP - if that was the only mistake I found, I'd be a happy camper.  Most notes, however, are riddled with typos, errors, and worst of all, crappy legal analysis.  I wouldn't worry about a relatively minor citation error. 

To the ? about 10 characters per inch: some fonts have uniform width per character.  I believe courier new is one font that is uniform, w/ 10 characters per inch.  If you totally disregarded it and used times new roman, you wrote far too much, and if I were grading it, I'd toss it for failure to follow a major word/length limit.

wardwilliams

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 04:43:57 PM »
To the OP - if that was the only mistake I found, I'd be a happy camper.  Most notes, however, are riddled with typos, errors, and worst of all, crappy legal analysis.  I wouldn't worry about a relatively minot citation error. 

To the ? About 10 characters per inch: some fonts have iniform width per character.  I believe courier new is on font that is uniform, w/ 10 characters per inch.  If you totally disregarded it and ised times new roman, you wrote far too much, and if I were grading it, I'd toss it for failure to follow a major word/length limit.

They specified the page limit as well the font, which was Courier New, which is apparently 10 characters per inch. Why you would bother instructing on anything more than the margins and font is beyond me especially when you give an instruction which I bet most people have never heard of and then at the same time say not to email about any questions.