Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2nd Semester Grades Tanked - What to do?  (Read 3277 times)

V8Driver

• View Profile
2nd Semester Grades Tanked - What to do?
« on: June 09, 2007, 12:20:05 AM »
What should I do?  My grades were very good 1st semester, then dropped to the median my second semester.  Overall, I am still in the top 1/3, but I know the drop off is going to kill me.  How can I minimize the damage?  Is there anyway to spin it?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2nd Semester Grades Tanked - What to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:59:24 PM »
Before anyone can give you a good answer I would imagine we need to know why your grades tanked.  Were you lazy? cocky? or did something happen during the semester that affected your studies?

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 02:30:17 PM »
The most innocuous explanation will probably be something like:

"I got cocky and slacked off a bit. I realize it was a mistake and plan to work extra hard next semester."

V8Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 12:51:13 AM »

"I got cocky and slacked off a bit. I realize it was a mistake and plan to work extra hard next semester."

This is pretty much what happened.  Does anyone else think that this would be the best response?

onedashL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:07:17 PM »
honestly, no one wants to hear your excuses.  congrats on doing well your first semester, but put it behind you.  you tanked second semester basically washing out your successes during first semester.  hone up to it. 

instead of focusing on your excuses about your second semester grades, do something productive during the summer, get on law review, etc.  otherwise, relying on one semester's grades won't get you very far in your interview.  they've all heard the "i got cocky excuse" before i'm sure...

V8Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 06:37:21 PM »

This is pretty much what happened.  Does anyone else think that this would be the best response?

Anyone?

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:52:48 PM »
honestly, no one wants to hear your excuses.  congrats on doing well your first semester, but put it behind you.  you tanked second semester basically washing out your successes during first semester.  hone up to it. 

instead of focusing on your excuses about your second semester grades, do something productive during the summer, get on law review, etc.  otherwise, relying on one semester's grades won't get you very far in your interview.  they've all heard the "i got cocky excuse" before i'm sure...

I think onedashL has pretty much covered it. 

If you have an excuse, fine.  If you don't, are you really sitting here trying to think of one?  Be proactive.  How about you think of ways to improve, not ways to reject responsibility.

onedashL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 08:12:08 PM »

Anyone?

By avoiding good advice, you are proving your immaturity in looking to make a kid-like excuse for an adult-sized problem.  honestly, employers don't give a crap if you did well one semester but had some issues in the dorms and, thus, tanked your second semester.  a lot of law students do well one of the two semesters without stupid excuses.  again, the recruiters have heard everything in the book.  your little RA problem will simply make you look dumb.  be a freakin' man for christ sakes.

basically, i hope you rely on your one semester of glory in trying to get a job so it frees up some spots for people that are proactive rather than retroactive...

f off!

V8Driver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 10:05:48 PM »

Anyone?

By avoiding good advice, you are proving your immaturity in looking to make a kid-like excuse for an adult-sized problem.  honestly, employers don't give a crap if you did well one semester but had some issues in the dorms and, thus, tanked your second semester.  a lot of law students do well one of the two semesters without stupid excuses.  again, the recruiters have heard everything in the book.  your little RA problem will simply make you look dumb.  be a freakin' man for christ sakes.

basically, i hope you rely on your one semester of glory in trying to get a job so it frees up some spots for people that are proactive rather than retroactive...

f off!

Relax.  I agree with you.  I only mentioned the RA situation because the other poster wanted to know specific circumstances before giving advice.  I have no intention of mentioning it.  Some stuff happened, but the bottom line is that I dropped the ball.  Plain and simple.

I agree that I have to take responsibility for my grades and be proactive.  What I'm asking is HOW to be proactive.  I attempted to write onto law review, but that's a long shot.  I'm getting good experience this summer at a paid job (not BIGLAW or anything).  However, if the interviewer brings my grades up, what exactly should I say?  Should I be honest and say that I got too comfortable, or does that sound like I'm making an excuse?  I don't want to come off that way because that's not me at all.