Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Large Firm Good Training for Solo Practice?  (Read 789 times)

swan

• View Profile
Large Firm Good Training for Solo Practice?
« on: June 08, 2007, 08:24:15 PM »
I'm interested in practicing in a medium/large firm early in my career and possibly going out on my own several years later. I know that at the big firms, while the money is great, the experience is not that great in the first few years. I've heard that young associates are often stuck doing stuff like "document review."

In contrast, at a smaller firm, I would be more likely to get better experience, so that I might be more likely to succeed when I go out on my own.

I'm going into my third year of law school. I'm not a top school, but I'm on Law Review and my class rank is pretty good. I missed out on BIGLAW this year, but I might have a shot at it in the future (e.g. after working at a midsized firm for a couple years or after doing a clerkship). I also just completed an internship at my state's appellate court, and I will be interning in my state's federal district court this fall, so I might have a decent chance at getting a good clerkship.

I've been working really hard trying to get into a large/medium firm. I'm wondering if it's even worth it to put in that same effort this coming fall, seeing as going into a smaller (e.g. 40-attorney) firm might be a better option for someone interesting in a solo practice.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
Re: Large Firm Good Training for Solo Practice?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:05:46 AM »
Tag

I'm an 0L but I have the same interests.  I hoping for a clerkship first then 2-3 years at a firm. I'm prepared to do it righ out of L.S. but that is the harder route. 
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

vaplaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:23:20 PM »
What types of law do you want to practice?

You'll probably get far more on-the-job experience with a government agency compared to a firm.  If you can get a judicial clerkship, go for one of those (even a state-level clerkship if you can afford the lower pay).  You'll typically observe plenty of motion hearings and trials, and you'll read plenty of briefs.  With 2 previous court internships and law review, you sound like a shoe-in.

swan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 12:36:12 AM »
I'm primarily interested in civil litigation. (In particular, I like appellate work, though that may be difficult to come by.) However, my dad is a CPA who refers a lot of legal work out, so I'll get some work that way, and I'll take whatever I can get when I start out (real estate, tax work, etc.).

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 10:06:11 AM »
What types of law do you want to practice?
General practice (Trusts & Estates, and Small stuff needed in the community) with a specialty in Real Estate, Business and Securities, and Tax. I won't take criminal law work (with exceptions)

I already have a Real Estate Sales Practice. I also have committment from a R.E. Broker to send settlements and other issues my way.  That why I'm prepared to go it alone right out of L.S..  I have bigger goals, so I need additional training and support.  I also need to keep an eye open for associates.

vaplaugh

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »
I'm primarily interested in civil litigation. (In particular, I like appellate work, though that may be difficult to come by.) However, my dad is a CPA who refers a lot of legal work out, so I'll get some work that way, and I'll take whatever I can get when I start out (real estate, tax work, etc.).

I'd say go for a state appellate clerkship (or state supreme or USCOA, of course, if that's an option).  I work as a paralegal right now for DOJ, and most honors-hire attorneys in my component are not allowed to start in the appellate section.  Typically they put in four years at the trial level.

General practice (Trusts & Estates, and Small stuff needed in the community) with a specialty in Real Estate, Business and Securities, and Tax. I won't take criminal law work (with exceptions)

I already have a Real Estate Sales Practice. I also have committment from a R.E. Broker to send settlements and other issues my way.  That why I'm prepared to go it alone right out of L.S..  I have bigger goals, so I need additional training and support.  I also need to keep an eye open for associates.

Do you think you'll stick primarily to transactional work?  Sounds like you've got things pretty worked out with your real estate sales practice.  My impression has been that transactional work requires less training, and therefore is easier to get started if you go solo right away.

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 12:23:19 PM »
Do you think you'll stick primarily to transactional work?  Sounds like you've got things pretty worked out with your real estate sales practice.  My impression has been that transactional work requires less training, and therefore is easier to get started if you go solo right away.
I'd like to get into the bigger deals,  perhaps development.  I'm also interested in establishing or participating in REITs and similar securities related projects. I'll do those projects or I'll represent others in structuring thier programs.  I'll need the networks to do it right.

I have a plan B and yes I can build a strong solo practice right away and make a decent living.  I'm not worried about my loans because of that. It will take a lot longer for me to break into 6 figures though, dealing with smaller clients.