Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What happens if I quit my 1L job  (Read 2021 times)

JohnDoe

• View Profile
What happens if I quit my 1L job
« on: June 08, 2007, 12:46:39 AM »
Sorry I am re-posting this, I posted in another one of the boards but meant to put it here.

I am a 1L and am working at a small firm over the summer... I work around 40 hrs a week and get around $740/wk.  They let me do a bunch of difficult and sometimes interesting work, I almost never do gopher or office work.... but I hate the job.

I also have summer school so I am pretty much at work and school from 9am to 9pm.

Anyways this isn't how I envisioned my summer going, and I really feel like quitting the job and having a relaxing summer before 2L starts.  I don't really care about the money and they aren't really open to me working part time.

The main reason I took the job and feel like I have to stay now is that I wanted/needed the legal experience and references for interviewing next year.  If I quit do I even have to list that I worked here on my resume?  Obviously I wouldnt list them as references... anyways not sure if I should stick it out or what.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if I quit my 1L job
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 02:26:45 AM »
you would be better off dropping the class and sticking out the job even if you hate it. for chrissake you only have two months left. how bad could it be?

when you interview as a 2L they will want to know what you did your 1L summer. working in a legal job is far more impressive than taking a class. plus, if you quit the job, you will probably a burn a bridge, and the legal community is much smaller than you may realize, especially if you plan to work in the same city.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 08:56:52 AM »
I would say keep the job if you're doing actual legal work where you're able to learn a thing or two.  The experience is invaluable.  If you really must quit, do so professionally and put in your two weeks.  People quit jobs they don't like all the time, there is no reason you should work a job that makes you truely miserable.  Otherwise, just look at it as a means to an end. 

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 09:25:18 AM »
Quit the class. Working and taking a summer class my 1L summer was easily the worst decision of my law school career. It impresses no one, eventually I started half-assing it anyway, and that one less class I took during my last semester was totally not worth killing most of my 1L summer.

I not sure if its too late to drop with a refund, I would do it even more.

As much as you hate the long days now, you will hate wasting you only "free" summer in law school. 2L summer you have to worry about impressing employers, going to sometimes lame events with social reject associates, and getting and offer. My post graduation summer sucks, studying for the bar 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
Sorry I am re-posting this, I posted in another one of the boards but meant to put it here.

I am a 1L and am working at a small firm over the summer... I work around 40 hrs a week and get around $740/wk.  They let me do a bunch of difficult and sometimes interesting work, I almost never do gopher or office work.... but I hate the job.

I also have summer school so I am pretty much at work and school from 9am to 9pm.

Anyways this isn't how I envisioned my summer going, and I really feel like quitting the job and having a relaxing summer before 2L starts.  I don't really care about the money and they aren't really open to me working part time.

The main reason I took the job and feel like I have to stay now is that I wanted/needed the legal experience and references for interviewing next year.  If I quit do I even have to list that I worked here on my resume?  Obviously I wouldnt list them as references... anyways not sure if I should stick it out or what.

i'd say stick it out. Some people dont get that opportunity like u did. You dont have long, you'll be ok

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »
Why are you learning to be a lawyer?  You may have to work hard on occassion, and do work when you would rather be relaxing.  If you quit, it will haunt you.  Especially if any future employer finds out it was because it was just too hard, or too busy or I would rather just relax.  Quit the class, get over it and work.  Otherwise you might want to look into a different profession if hard work and long hours is too much for you.

JohnDoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 07:24:35 PM »
Well I think quitting the job is out of the question because if any employer next year finds out I got a job then quit... that will kill any chance at a good 2L summer assoicate job.  Plus I am by no means a shoe in a for a biglaw summer associate job as I go to a T2 and am just outside the top 10% of my class.

I know people are gonna say I have to deal with it... this is what its like when I'm actually a lawyer,etc... Well, thats just it I'm not an attorney yet and I wanna enjoy my summer before these "real" jobs begin.  I don't count this as a "real" job and I am gonna stick it out since I get to do all substantive legal work.

The funny thing is I never even really looked for a job, one random night I sent out 7 resumes from our school job posting site and I got an interview 2 days later.  I just went and before I knew it I accepted the job without even thinking about it.

And its too late to drop my class unless I want to flush 4k down the toilet.

amityjo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:01:49 AM »
This is one of the most idiotic posts I've seen on this message board.

1) If you "hate" this job, one where you are actually one of the few 1L students who get to do substantive legal work, I would question whether you really want to be a lawyer.
2) You just want to "relax" this summer? You sound like you're still in an undergrad mentality - knock it off. You're in law school, and to get even non-big law jobs, there's a lot of competition (especially coming out of a non-top tier school). Suck it up and start realizing that you have to make yourself as marketable as possible.
3) You decided to take a course and work at the same time. Consider it training for your 2L year, because 2L is a female dog. If you're on journal, you're going to have to get used to working as hard as you are right now.
4) You're getting paid. Most 1Ls don't get paid their first summer, so consider yourself lucky and stop bitching.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 10:25:14 AM »
look on the bright side... you only have 2 months left.  The cost of sucking it up far outweigh quitting.  Time flies buy. 

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 04:22:27 PM »
This is one of the most idiotic posts I've seen on this message board.

1) If you "hate" this job, one where you are actually one of the few 1L students who get to do substantive legal work, I would question whether you really want to be a lawyer.
2) You just want to "relax" this summer? You sound like you're still in an undergrad mentality - knock it off. You're in law school, and to get even non-big law jobs, there's a lot of competition (especially coming out of a non-top tier school). Suck it up and start realizing that you have to make yourself as marketable as possible.
3) You decided to take a course and work at the same time. Consider it training for your 2L year, because 2L is a female dog. If you're on journal, you're going to have to get used to working as hard as you are right now.
4) You're getting paid. Most 1Ls don't get paid their first summer, so consider yourself lucky and stop bitching.

Good thing your not afraid of heights, with your pedestal being so high and all...