Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suggestions please  (Read 544 times)

mikey4400

• View Profile
Suggestions please
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »
Hi, I originally applied for a legal internship working under in house counsel. I'm currently interning for a large entertainment company but the Human Resources are very misleading b/c they said they will put me in legal department but they placed me in Photo Licensing department (the only thing legal about this is filling out license agreements which are templates- no lawyers and full of college interns). Now, the actual legal department has no more summer openings. There is an opening for the Fall for the legal department but I haven't gotten any response yet. I don't know if I should stick through this doing bozo work (clerical work) in hopes that I will get to work at the legal department in the fall or seek another internship at a smaller company working under an in house counsel. I know if I pull out now, I might burn a bridge and I will probably not be able to apply here again. Any suggestions?

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 11:07:57 AM »
Would it be you burning the bridge or them because they were misleading? They're not going to open a space for you there if you do good clerical work.  I would plan on sometjing else.  The fact that you're asking about this sayes to me that your instincts are pointing you away from them.

They screwed you.  They knew you were in L.S. and were looking for a Legal internship. You might as well go volunteer somewhere to get experience. You need to build your resume and organize your future, not organize thier files.  Something that a H.S. grad can do...

Good luck.
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

robsanpedro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »
Have you discussed the situation with the externtship office at your school?  Maybe they can make a call on your behalf.
The LawThug Online Store
Apparel and more for Lawyers and Law Students

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 05:34:34 PM »
did you get a welcome letter with the internship that described what you would be doing?

You could either attempt to reason with the legal dept to take you on and HR, or you can find something else to do and cut your losses. At this point, can you get a summer internship with anyone else???
Vanderbilt 2010