Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.28 with a connection... is a summer associate position possible?  (Read 2605 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
I just got my final 1L GPA, which was a 3.28 from a T2 school. I had a 3.5 the first semester, so i took a little hit. Dont get me wrong, I am still gracious of the GPA, but I am wondering... are most of my options for a good summer associate position finished?

I am very close friends with a well known professor at my law school, who would definitely make a phone call on my behalf (I am also his research assistant). I am also interning for a Federal District Judge this summer. Hopefully I may make a journal, but at this moment I wouldnt know. With these previous 2 additions however, do I have a shot at a moderate to large firm in the NJ area still or is my 3.28 gonna knock me out of the runnings? I know as far as OCI is concerned, most firms cut off at 3.5, but as far as outside connections and sending resumes, what are my realistic chances? Any 2Ls or 3Ls with experience could surely help, although any advice would be more than helpful.

Thanks!
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.28 with a connection... is a summer associate position possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:58:18 PM »
Insecurity will knock you out of the "runnings" faster than your GPA.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
you may be mistaking "insecurity" for realism... the job market, especially in the tri-state area, is one of the most cut-throat in the nation. I am asking for rational projections and/or real-life experiences.

I am not insecure about my grades or chances at all, in fact I feel I am very lucky and am very grateful for them. I am merely trying to research and gauge my upcoming possibilities for my future.

But thanks for the helpful response.
Lets go Pirates!

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:22:35 AM »
Letters/phone call of recommendations mean almost nothing, unless this guy knows someone on the hiring committee at the firm. I see a $75k starting salary in your future.

JDSoulja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 12:35:03 PM »
Connections are everything!

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:56:02 PM »
yeah...i'm going to crawl out of hibernation to agree with JD...if you are not an incompetent boob (and a 3.2 indicates that you aren't) a well placed phone call can absolutely land you a sweet job.  that's how the world works my friend.

tortfeasor111

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 01:50:37 AM »
I'd like to think the Seton Hall name carries some water in New Jersey.  The judge I'm externing for now hired me without asking any questions after he found out I attended SHU (He attended SHU too).  Furthermore, when attorneys from various New Jersey firms come into court and start talking to me, some have invited me to apply for jobs after I tell them I attend SHU.  I don't plan on taking this path, but IMO there are a decent amount firm jobs available for SHU students especially those with your GPA.  Good Luck.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 09:03:04 AM »
Thanks for all the input so far... i was just worried there was some sort of "unspoken" cut-off for moderate to large firms in NJ. I am going to attempt to use my connections as far as they can get, because as many mentioned, that is unfortunately how the world works. I just posted the topic to see how far they may take me and if the other factors would negate whatever connections I may have...

anyway, tortfeasor, where are you interning right now? State or Fed court? how do you like seton hall? are u going to be a 2L next year at seton hall?
Lets go Pirates!

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 11:02:50 AM »
First, what rank are you? That is much more relevant than GPA since schools have different curves.

Second, you need to talk to career services and see what the cutoffs are for firms interviewing at OCI and see if they have a list of what kind of grades SHU students who got offers in previous years had. If you fall below whatever that number is, you should start doing some of your own legwork to find other SHU alums, small-medium sized firms not coming to your OCI, etc. and write to them personally once it gets closer to the fall.

Thanks for all the input so far... i was just worried there was some sort of "unspoken" cut-off for moderate to large firms in NJ. I am going to attempt to use my connections as far as they can get, because as many mentioned, that is unfortunately how the world works. I just posted the topic to see how far they may take me and if the other factors would negate whatever connections I may have...

anyway, tortfeasor, where are you interning right now? State or Fed court? are going to be a 2L as well at seton hall?

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:54:39 PM »
roygbiv,

thanks for the advice! that is a good idea, and you are right, rank would definitely help me better gauge the situation. It takes forever to get the rankings from my school however, so I won't know that for a while.

Where can I find a list of recent SHU-Alumni and what respective firms they beling to? I know career services may have them, but they are not usually the most helpful bunch. I will try to look into the amount of offers accepted last year and what GPA correlates to them, but I have a feeling it may not be very easy to discover that information.

Anyway thanks for the response i def appreciate it!
Lets go Pirates!