Law School Discussion

How important is case briefing?

galex

• View Profile
Re: How important is case briefing?
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »
So, now I'm confused about the importance of BLL. I've heard everything from:

1. It is important. The profs hide that from you to make sure you get all caught up in theory and then hammer you on BLL during finals. It's a trick. They don't teach you BLL but want you to know it.

2. It's important, but duh . . . it's just a starting point. You should pick it up, but the real nitty gritty is analysis.

3. It hardly matters. Profs don't care.

What's the deal? Will I be able to get a firmer answer on this before Aug. 27th? Thanks

Probably not, which is why it's going to be so important to try to get information on your individual professors after August 27th from 2Ls and 3Ls.

Gwiz

• Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »
You will never get the right answer on this board.  You will only get the better answer for you.  Sometimes you won't get a complete answer in one post from one LSDer.  I suggest you take what you got file it away untill the end of august and ask a different question.

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »
I didn't mean to come across as unappreciative. I'm actually surprised and grateful that so many law students took time to answer in as much detail as they did. I will file it away. Thanks

tulpen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2007, 02:19:49 PM »
I guess I'm gonna start learning it now. That way, I'll have it memorized before I get there anyway. I've heard of people doing this, and I've even read a bunch of books that go through many of the details on torts, civ pro etc. I just hadn't committed a great deal of time to it before. If I have it all memorized though, then no matter which of these contradictory lines is correct, I'll be in position to do well.

Huh? Is this for real or an inside joke I'm missing?  Please do not try to memorize the "black letter law" before school starts; that's a really awful idea. To begin with, you don't even know what your professor cover so you could waste your last carefree summer memorizing completely irrelevant topics. For ex, my torts prof chose to cover a few areas in depth(and mainly focused on policy issues) whereas other professors pretty much taught the entire Torts casebook. I can't emphasize enough what a waste of time it will be to attempt to learn civ pro, etc. the summer before law school. If you really feel like you have to do something this summer, read Getting to Maybe and brush up on your US history.

And in terms of black letter law, its importance really depends on the course, the professor, the type of school you attend, etc. Some mainly emphasize analysis and policy and others solely rely on the traditional issue spotter. In any case, please have more confidence in your academic abilities and don't waste your time trying to learn every 1L course before school starts.