Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer internship dilemma  (Read 2496 times)

mikey4400

• View Profile
Summer internship dilemma
« on: June 05, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »
Hi, I originally applied for a legal internship working under in house counsel. I'm currently interning for a large entertainment company but the Human Resources are very misleading b/c they said they will put me in legal department but they placed me in Photo Licensing department (the only thing legal about this is filling out license agreements which are templates- no lawyers and full of college interns). Now, the actual legal department has no more summer openings. There is an opening for the Fall for the legal department but I haven't gotten any response yet. I don't know if I should stick through this doing bozo work (clerical work) in hopes that I will get to work at the legal department in the fall or seek another internship at a smaller company working under an in house counsel. I know if I pull out now, I might burn a bridge and I will probably not be able to apply here again. Any suggestions?

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer internship dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »
They misled you so leaving would not be burning a bridge in my opinion. If they have a problem with it, explain your side of the situation. If they still have a problem, they're dicks and you don't want to have anything to do with them anyway.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »
Why would you want to stay and work there if they've already misled you, and done nothing to lead you to believe they will fix it in the future?

I wouldn't hold my breath for an offer for after graduate employment, if I were you.  Most large companies (assuming by "large entertainment company you mean decently large, that is) don't hire in house counsel right out of school.  They hire midlevel or higher associates who already have a good rep, and have done the work the company needs it to do.  This isn't the *only* way to get in house, but its the most common, I think.  If you do want a job at this place, you need to first look at how the other attorneys in the legal dept got there - did any come right from law school?  If no, then you're probably not going to be the first, and I'd look elsewhere.  If yes, then you need to sit down with someone in HR and/or the legal department, explain your dissatisfaction, and ask for a straight answer of whether or not your services will ever be used in a legal capacity.  If they don't give you a straight answer, start looking for something else.

NYnumba5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:35:34 AM »
what are the other ways to obtain in-house positions? specifically financial institutions

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 07:29:07 AM »
Unfortunately, the best (and often only) way to get inhouse is to work for a large firm that provides legal services to the company.  As one attorney I used to work with phrased it, working inhouse is a big goal for attorneys - the pay is good, the hours are fantastic.  Working at a large firm is how you have to pay your dues and make the connections necessary to make the jump in house.

NYnumba5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 03:40:59 PM »
yea I have a great connection to a large financial company who assures me he can obtain a position for me in their legal department. The thing is I just don't see places like this being so willing to hire an entry level attorny with no large law firm experience, especially as it seems these jobs are highly coveted, even though the pay isn't overwhelming (he told me they usually start around 90k). Although my connection is solid, i.e. not some shmuck I met at a  BBQ giving me lip service, I just think they may be naive to the competition prevalent in the legal market. Any thoughts? Is it possible to obtain jobs like this in this manner?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 06:08:05 PM »
yea I have a great connection to a large financial company who assures me he can obtain a position for me in their legal department. The thing is I just don't see places like this being so willing to hire an entry level attorny with no large law firm experience, especially as it seems these jobs are highly coveted, even though the pay isn't overwhelming (he told me they usually start around 90k). Although my connection is solid, i.e. not some shmuck I met at a  BBQ giving me lip service, I just think they may be naive to the competition prevalent in the legal market. Any thoughts? Is it possible to obtain jobs like this in this manner?

I think you're smart to be a bit skeptical.  Unless this guy is (a) everyone else's boss or (b) a person with the power to actually hire you himself, I wouldn't count on getting this job.  I've seen a lot of connections like this in gov't agencies and in house fall through because the person could only pass your name and resume along, and was not actually in any position to hire anyone.

shady2009

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 07:52:20 PM »
Although my connection is solid, i.e. not some shmuck I met at a  BBQ giving me lip service

Unless it is some guy that you blew in a dark alley, he is not going to give you a job that you aren't qualified for.  Jacy85's reason to be skeptical is valid, but even if they have a big legal department, they are still going to be a fairly small, close knit group (20-30 attorneys).  To quote Samuel L. Jackson, "personality goes a long way."  If this guy knows you and thinks your qualified (and has the power to hire), they may give you a shot because you will fit in...

I just think they may be naive to the competition prevalent in the legal market.

I'm guessing that they know more about the competition in the legal market and the kind of candidate they are looking to hire than you do.

NYnumba5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 10:47:52 PM »
well hes not a guy i blew in a dark alley way because im not in the habit of blowing guys.
however he is my brother so actually he would hire me for a job I wasn't qualified for, but like i said he works for the financial corporation in the financial department not the legal dept. and although hes not an entry level employee with no pull he also can't outright hire me.